vim 7 ex-mode behavior

  • d tbsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
      hi:
      i have some old vim ex-mode scripts which can not work under vim 7.0 and 7.2.
      after some checking, i found command like below didn't work under vim 7:

      1 \\
      2 \\
      .

      the command above can create two line "1\\" and "2\\" under vim 5 and vim 6.
      it didn't work under vim 7.
      i don't know if it is a bug or feature of vim 7?
      thanks a lot for your help!!

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
        d tbsky wrote:
        > after some checking, i found command like below didn't work
        > under vim 7:

        > 1 \\
        > 2 \\
        > .

        It works here on Vim 7.2 as well, although I had to use help to see how.

        Use ':help :a' and see what it says about "Watch out for lines starting with a
        backslash". The above lines work, but perhaps your actual text is somewhat
        different.

        John

      • d tbsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
          hi:
          i am sorry that i didn't describe the steps in detail.
          there are some old apps in our system which use "ex" in their scripts.
          and "ex" in link to "vim" in these system. so "ex" is like "vim -e"
          in the situation.
          vim 5 and vim 6 are fine for these scripts.
          but vim 7.0 and 7.2 is not. i found some scripts can run with "vim
          -E" (enhanced ex mode).
          but some still can not run. so if i execute vim as below:

          vim -e /tmp/abc

          1 \\
          2 \\
          .

          above can not run correctly under 7.0 or 7.2 in my system.(vim 5 and 6 is fine)
          thanks a lot for help!!

          Regards,
          tbskyd

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2008
            On 2008-10-23, d tbsky <tbskyd@...> wrote:
            > hi:
            > i am sorry that i didn't describe the steps in detail.
            > there are some old apps in our system which use "ex" in their scripts.
            > and "ex" in link to "vim" in these system. so "ex" is like "vim -e"
            > in the situation.
            > vim 5 and vim 6 are fine for these scripts.
            > but vim 7.0 and 7.2 is not. i found some scripts can run with "vim
            > -E" (enhanced ex mode).
            > but some still can not run. so if i execute vim as below:
            >
            > vim -e /tmp/abc

            > 1 \\
            > 2 \\
            > .
            >
            > above can not run correctly under 7.0 or 7.2 in my system.(vim 5 and 6 is fine)
            > thanks a lot for help!!

            When I put those commands in a script, start vim as

            $ vim -e -X -u NONE dummy

            and source the script, it works fine. If I start vim version 6.3.82
            the same way but execute those commands from the keyboard, it works
            the same way. If, however, I start vim version 7.2.22 that way and
            execute those commands from the keyboard, it behaves differently:
            the backslashes appear to escape the newlines so that I have to type
            . on a line by itself a second time to exit the append command and
            the resulting file 'dummy' contains this:

            where those ^@ are Ctrl-@ characters.

            So you're right--the behavior did change between 6.3 and 7.2. I
            don't know which behavior is correct, though.

            Regards,
            Gary