netbeans connection when Vim is not compiled with netbeans_intg

  • Xavier de Gaye
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 18, 2008
      When an application forks a Vim that is not compiled with the
      netbeans_intg feature, the application waits for Vim to establish the
      socket connection and Vim silently ignores the "-nb" command line
      argument. It is difficult for the user to understand what is wrong.

      The attached patch causes Vim to exit with an error message when it is
      invoked with "-nb" and not compiled with the netbeans_intg feature.
      This is already what is happening when the diff feature is missing and
      vim is invoked as vimdiff.

      Xavier

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
        Xavier de Gaye wrote:

        > When an application forks a Vim that is not compiled with the
        > netbeans_intg feature, the application waits for Vim to establish the
        > socket connection and Vim silently ignores the "-nb" command line
        > argument. It is difficult for the user to understand what is wrong.
        >
        > The attached patch causes Vim to exit with an error message when it is
        > invoked with "-nb" and not compiled with the netbeans_intg feature.
        > This is already what is happening when the diff feature is missing and
        > vim is invoked as vimdiff.

        The idea looks right: using -nb when it's not supported should make Vim
        quit.

        The place where you invoke mch_exit() looks a bit weird. Not sure if
        this is the best solution. And when compiled without GUI (e.g.,
        starting a small version of Vim) this exit won't be reached. Would
        someone only use -nb with gvim?

        The message should be defined in one place, not twice.

        193. You ask your girlfriend to drive home so you can sit back with
        your PDA and download the information to your laptop

      • Xavier de Gaye
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 6, 2008
          On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

          > Xavier de Gaye wrote:
          >
          >> When an application forks a Vim that is not compiled with the
          >> netbeans_intg feature, the application waits for Vim to establish the
          >> socket connection and Vim silently ignores the "-nb" command line
          >> argument. It is difficult for the user to understand what is wrong.
          >>
          >> The attached patch causes Vim to exit with an error message when it is
          >> invoked with "-nb" and not compiled with the netbeans_intg feature.
          >> This is already what is happening when the diff feature is missing and
          >> vim is invoked as vimdiff.
          >
          > The idea looks right: using -nb when it's not supported should make Vim
          > quit.
          >
          > The place where you invoke mch_exit() looks a bit weird. Not sure if
          > this is the best solution. And when compiled without GUI (e.g.,
          > starting a small version of Vim) this exit won't be reached. Would
          > someone only use -nb with gvim?
          >
          > The message should be defined in one place, not twice.

          Right of course. I will try sending another patch fixing these points.

          BTW do you think an implementation of netbeans over Vim console is
          acceptable as a Vim patch (as opposed to an external patch such as
          those in http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches).

          Xavier

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
            Xavier de Gaye wrote:

            > >> When an application forks a Vim that is not compiled with the
            > >> netbeans_intg feature, the application waits for Vim to establish the
            > >> socket connection and Vim silently ignores the "-nb" command line
            > >> argument. It is difficult for the user to understand what is wrong.
            > >>
            > >> The attached patch causes Vim to exit with an error message when it is
            > >> invoked with "-nb" and not compiled with the netbeans_intg feature.
            > >> This is already what is happening when the diff feature is missing and
            > >> vim is invoked as vimdiff.
            > >
            > > The idea looks right: using -nb when it's not supported should make Vim
            > > quit.
            > >
            > > The place where you invoke mch_exit() looks a bit weird. Not sure if
            > > this is the best solution. And when compiled without GUI (e.g.,
            > > starting a small version of Vim) this exit won't be reached. Would
            > > someone only use -nb with gvim?
            > >
            > > The message should be defined in one place, not twice.
            >
            > Right of course. I will try sending another patch fixing these points.

            Good, thanks.

            > BTW do you think an implementation of netbeans over Vim console is
            > acceptable as a Vim patch (as opposed to an external patch such as
            > those in http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches).

            If you can make the netbeans interface work for a Vim running in a
            console, that sounds like a useful feature. I would include it if it
            works properly. However, some programs using the netbeans interface
            assume GUI features, such as menus. Thus it's probably only useful
            for some applications.

            207. You're given one phone call in prison and you ask them for a laptop.

          • Xavier de Gaye
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
              On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
              >> > The place where you invoke mch_exit() looks a bit weird. Not sure if
              >> > this is the best solution. And when compiled without GUI (e.g.,
              >> > starting a small version of Vim) this exit won't be reached. Would
              >> > someone only use -nb with gvim?
              >> >
              >> > The message should be defined in one place, not twice.
              >>
              >> Right of course. I will try sending another patch fixing these points.
              >
              > Good, thanks.

              Attached is a patch that fixes the above issues. It's on top of
              version 7.2.28 (subversion revision 1226).

              >> BTW do you think an implementation of netbeans over Vim console is
              >> acceptable as a Vim patch (as opposed to an external patch such as
              >> those in http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches).
              >
              > If you can make the netbeans interface work for a Vim running in a
              > console, that sounds like a useful feature. I would include it if it
              > works properly. However, some programs using the netbeans interface
              > assume GUI features, such as menus. Thus it's probably only useful
              > for some applications.

              I will give it a try.

              Xavier

            • sc
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008
                On Saturday 08 November 2008 10:12 am, Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                > >> Right of course. I will try sending another patch fixing these points.
                > >
                > > Good, thanks.
                >
                > Attached is a patch that fixes the above issues. It's on top of
                > version 7.2.28 (subversion revision 1226).

                I hope the above is a typo -- for me subversion reports revision 1226
                while vim is at 7.2.26

                sc

              • sc
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 2008

                  > >> Right of course. I will try sending another patch fixing these points.
                  > >
                  > > Good, thanks.
                  >
                  > Attached is a patch that fixes the above issues. It's on top of
                  > version 7.2.28 (subversion revision 1226).

                  oops -- please forgive the double post -- I so often hit Send and
                  then engage my brain

                  revision 1226 did indeed update my source to 7.2.28 but as it
                  stands it will not compile for me (already noted in a previous
                  post)

                  sc

                • Xavier de Gaye
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                    On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM, sc <toothpik@...> wrote:

                    >> > Good, thanks.
                    >>
                    >> Attached is a patch that fixes the above issues. It's on top of
                    >> version 7.2.28 (subversion revision 1226).
                    >
                    > oops -- please forgive the double post -- I so often hit Send and
                    > then engage my brain
                    >
                    > revision 1226 did indeed update my source to 7.2.28 but as it
                    > stands it will not compile for me (already noted in a previous
                    > post)

                    Right, to compile Vim I had to comment out lines 656/657 in ex_cmds.h.

                    Xavier

                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                      On 09/11/08 11:38, Xavier de Gaye wrote:
                      > On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM, sc<toothpik@...> wrote:

                      >>> Attached is a patch that fixes the above issues. It's on top of
                      >>> version 7.2.28 (subversion revision 1226).
                      >> oops -- please forgive the double post -- I so often hit Send and
                      >> then engage my brain
                      >>
                      >> revision 1226 did indeed update my source to 7.2.28 but as it
                      >> stands it will not compile for me (already noted in a previous
                      >> post)
                      >
                      > Right, to compile Vim I had to comment out lines 656/657 in ex_cmds.h.
                      >
                      > Xavier

                      There was an error in patch 7.2.027 (corrected in 7.2.030 and improved
                      in 7.2.031) which caused compile errors. If you upgrade to the current
                      source it ought to work.

                      According to Kentucky state law, every person must take a bath at least
                      once a year.

                    • sc
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                        On Sunday 09 November 2008 1:18 pm, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                        [snip]
                        > There was an error in patch 7.2.027 (corrected in 7.2.030 and improved
                        > in 7.2.031) which caused compile errors. If you upgrade to the current
                        > source it ought to work.

                        for whatever reason, svn is lagging behind posted patches -- if, like me,
                        Xavier is waiting on svn, he is stuck at 7.2.28 (since Nov 6)

                        this is fine for us, but if a newbie comes along expecting to build the
                        latest and greatest vim by following instructions, he's going to wind up
                        with sources that won't build -- not good, unless he has the perseverence
                        to browse this group -- what he'll use to find Xavier's kind response to my
                        whining I'm not sure, I just hope the experience doesn't turn him into
                        an emacs user

                        sc

                      • Tony Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 9, 2008
                          On 09/11/08 21:45, sc wrote:
                          > On Sunday 09 November 2008 1:18 pm, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                          > [snip]
                          >> There was an error in patch 7.2.027 (corrected in 7.2.030 and improved
                          >> in 7.2.031) which caused compile errors. If you upgrade to the current
                          >> source it ought to work.
                          >
                          > for whatever reason, svn is lagging behind posted patches -- if, like me,
                          > Xavier is waiting on svn, he is stuck at 7.2.28 (since Nov 6)
                          >
                          > this is fine for us, but if a newbie comes along expecting to build the
                          > latest and greatest vim by following instructions, he's going to wind up
                          > with sources that won't build -- not good, unless he has the perseverence
                          > to browse this group -- what he'll use to find Xavier's kind response to my
                          > whining I'm not sure, I just hope the experience doesn't turn him into
                          > an emacs user
                          >
                          > sc

                          Vim SVN is always lagging (sometimes by a week or two) behind CVS. OTOH
                          the patches appear on the FTP server (and, I think, on CVS which I don't
                          use) about as fast as they are published on vim_dev. I'm not sure about
                          A-A-P but I think it uses CVS too. So it's just a question of which
                          instructions to follow.

                          On Windows, a newbie doesn't need to build Vim himself (he can just grab
                          Steve Hall's "cream-less" Vim distributions on sourceforge) so the
                          question arises mostly on Unix-like systems. As shown on my HowTo page,
                          what I use is FTP for code and rsync for runtimes: this way I remain
                          up-to-date. In the rare cases when the FTP site has a hiccup and the
                          patches don't appear there in timely fashion, I grab the vim_dev post
                          and check that it has "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit" (or 7bit).
                          Quoted-printable is not as easy, it must be "doctored" by hand, but it's
                          doable.

                          Friends, Romans, Hipsters,
                          Let me clue you in;
                          I come to put down Caesar, not to groove him.
                          The square kicks some cats are on stay with them;
                          The hip bits, like, go down under; so let it lay with Caesar. The cool
                          Brutus
                          Gave you the message: Caesar had big eyes;
                          If that's the sound, someone's copping a plea,
                          And, like, old Caesar really set them straight.
                          Here, copacetic with Brutus and the studs, -- for Brutus is a real cool cat;
                          So are they all, all cool cats, --
                          Come I to make this gig at Caesar's laying down.

                        • Xavier de Gaye
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 26, 2009
                            On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Xavier de Gaye wrote:
                            >>> BTW do you think an implementation of netbeans over Vim console is
                            >>> acceptable as a Vim patch (as opposed to an external patch such as
                            >>> those in http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches).
                            >>
                            >> If you can make the netbeans interface work for a Vim running in a
                            >> console, that sounds like a useful feature. I would include it if it
                            >> works properly. However, some programs using the netbeans interface
                            >> assume GUI features, such as menus. Thus it's probably only useful
                            >> for some applications.
                            >
                            > I will give it a try.

                            Attached is a patch that allows Vim to support NetBeans when run in a
                            terminal. The patch is based on Vim 7.2.160, subversion revision 1440.

                            Problem: Support the NetBeans interface when Vim is run in a
                            terminal on Unix.
                            Solution: Hook the NetBeans file descriptor to the event loop.
                            Add a backward compatible enhancement: the defineAnnoType
                            "fg" and "bg" color arguments may also be defined as color
                            names.
                            Files: runtime/doc/netbeans.txt src/netbeans.c src/ex_cmds.c
                            src/proto/netbeans.pro src/gui.c src/getchar.c
                            src/gui_w48.c src/feature.h src/main.c src/proto.h
                            src/gui_gtk_x11.c src/os_unix.c

                            List of the tests that have been run (the pyclewn testsuite is about
                            50 tests):
                            Check that a NetBeans session started in a terminal can be
                            continued after the ":gui" command is run.
                            Run pyclewn testsuite with GVim compiled with the GTK gui.
                            Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim in a terminal, compiled with the
                            GTK gui.
                            Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim compiled without any gui.

                            Issue not fixed (not worth fixing ?):
                            When Vim NetBeans runs in a terminal and the ':gui' command is run
                            and if the GUI is not one of GTK, GNOME, Motif or Win32, then
                            NetBeans silently stops working.

                            Xavier

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 26, 2009
                              Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                              > >> If you can make the netbeans interface work for a Vim running in a
                              > >> console, that sounds like a useful feature. I would include it if it
                              > >> works properly. However, some programs using the netbeans interface
                              > >> assume GUI features, such as menus. Thus it's probably only useful
                              > >> for some applications.
                              > >
                              > > I will give it a try.
                              >

                              > Attached is a patch that allows Vim to support NetBeans when run in a
                              > terminal. The patch is based on Vim 7.2.160, subversion revision 1440.
                              >
                              > Problem: Support the NetBeans interface when Vim is run in a
                              > terminal on Unix.
                              > Solution: Hook the NetBeans file descriptor to the event loop.
                              > Add a backward compatible enhancement: the defineAnnoType
                              > "fg" and "bg" color arguments may also be defined as color
                              > names.
                              > Files: runtime/doc/netbeans.txt src/netbeans.c src/ex_cmds.c
                              > src/proto/netbeans.pro src/gui.c src/getchar.c
                              > src/gui_w48.c src/feature.h src/main.c src/proto.h
                              > src/gui_gtk_x11.c src/os_unix.c
                              >
                              > List of the tests that have been run (the pyclewn testsuite is about
                              > 50 tests):
                              > Check that a NetBeans session started in a terminal can be
                              > continued after the ":gui" command is run.
                              > Run pyclewn testsuite with GVim compiled with the GTK gui.
                              > Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim in a terminal, compiled with the
                              > GTK gui.
                              > Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim compiled without any gui.
                              >
                              > Issue not fixed (not worth fixing ?):
                              > When Vim NetBeans runs in a terminal and the ':gui' command is run
                              > and if the GUI is not one of GTK, GNOME, Motif or Win32, then
                              > NetBeans silently stops working.

                              Thanks, sounds good. I'll have a better look later. I would appreciate
                              feedback from others.

                              --
                              FATHER: You killed eight wedding guests in all!
                              LAUNCELOT: Er, Well ... the thing is ... I thought your son was a lady.

                            • Xavier de Gaye
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2010
                                On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                > Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                                >> > I will give it a try.
                                >>

                                >> Attached is a patch that allows Vim to support NetBeans when run in a
                                >> terminal. The patch is based on Vim 7.2.160, subversion revision 1440.
                                >>
                                >> Problem:    Support the NetBeans interface when Vim is run in a
                                >>             terminal on Unix.
                                >> Solution:   Hook the NetBeans file descriptor to the event loop.
                                >>             Add a backward compatible enhancement: the defineAnnoType
                                >>             "fg" and "bg" color arguments may also be defined as color
                                >>             names.
                                >> Files:      runtime/doc/netbeans.txt src/netbeans.c src/ex_cmds.c
                                >>             src/proto/netbeans.pro src/gui.c src/getchar.c
                                >>             src/gui_w48.c src/feature.h src/main.c src/proto.h
                                >>             src/gui_gtk_x11.c src/os_unix.c
                                >>
                                >> List of the tests that have been run (the pyclewn testsuite is about
                                >> 50 tests):
                                >>     Check that a NetBeans session started in a terminal can be
                                >>     continued after the ":gui" command is run.
                                >>     Run pyclewn testsuite with GVim compiled with the GTK gui.
                                >>     Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim in a terminal, compiled with the
                                >>     GTK gui.
                                >>     Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim compiled without any gui.
                                >>
                                >> Issue not fixed (not worth fixing ?):
                                >>     When Vim NetBeans runs in a terminal and the ':gui' command is run
                                >>     and if the GUI is not one of GTK, GNOME, Motif or Win32, then
                                >>     NetBeans silently stops working.
                                >
                                > Thanks, sounds good.  I'll have a better look later.  I would appreciate
                                > feedback from others.

                                Hi Bram,

                                I have setup a Mercurial Queues patch at
                                http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/vim-patches.html
                                It will be easier to test this patch and pyclewn 1.1 can now run with
                                Vim in a console.

                                The major change from the patch I sent last April, is that netbeans
                                version has been increased to "2.5".

                                Using Mercurial Queues for Vim patches, brings the following advantages:

                                * the patch can be kept in sync with Vim development source tree
                                * it is easy to test the patch with Vim development source tree
                                * at any time, one can remove the patch with 'hg qpop'

                                I will keep this patch in sync with Vim development source tree.

                                Xavier

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 6, 2010
                                  Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                                  > >> Attached is a patch that allows Vim to support NetBeans when run in a
                                  > >> terminal. The patch is based on Vim 7.2.160, subversion revision 1440.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Problem: Support the NetBeans interface when Vim is run in a
                                  > >> terminal on Unix.
                                  > >> Solution: Hook the NetBeans file descriptor to the event loop.
                                  > >> Add a backward compatible enhancement: the defineAnnoType
                                  > >> "fg" and "bg" color arguments may also be defined as color
                                  > >> names.
                                  > >> Files: runtime/doc/netbeans.txt src/netbeans.c src/ex_cmds.c
                                  > >> src/proto/netbeans.pro src/gui.c src/getchar.c
                                  > >> src/gui_w48.c src/feature.h src/main.c src/proto.h
                                  > >> src/gui_gtk_x11.c src/os_unix.c
                                  > >>
                                  > >> List of the tests that have been run (the pyclewn testsuite is about
                                  > >> 50 tests):
                                  > >> Check that a NetBeans session started in a terminal can be
                                  > >> continued after the ":gui" command is run.
                                  > >> Run pyclewn testsuite with GVim compiled with the GTK gui.
                                  > >> Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim in a terminal, compiled with the
                                  > >> GTK gui.
                                  > >> Run pyclewn testsuite with Vim compiled without any gui.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Issue not fixed (not worth fixing ?):
                                  > >> When Vim NetBeans runs in a terminal and the ':gui' command is run
                                  > >> and if the GUI is not one of GTK, GNOME, Motif or Win32, then
                                  > >> NetBeans silently stops working.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks, sounds good. I'll have a better look later. I would appreciate
                                  > > feedback from others.
                                  >

                                  > Hi Bram,
                                  >
                                  > I have setup a Mercurial Queues patch at
                                  > http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/vim-patches.html
                                  > It will be easier to test this patch and pyclewn 1.1 can now run with
                                  > Vim in a console.
                                  >
                                  > The major change from the patch I sent last April, is that netbeans
                                  > version has been increased to "2.5".
                                  >
                                  > Using Mercurial Queues for Vim patches, brings the following advantages:
                                  >
                                  > * the patch can be kept in sync with Vim development source tree
                                  > * it is easy to test the patch with Vim development source tree
                                  > * at any time, one can remove the patch with 'hg qpop'
                                  >
                                  > I will keep this patch in sync with Vim development source tree.

                                  I'll move this up in the todo list.

                                  --
                                  From "know your smileys":
                                  :-)-O Smiling doctor with stethoscope

                                • Xavier de Gaye
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 10, 2010
                                    On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                                    > I have setup a Mercurial Queues patch at
                                    > http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/vim-patches.html
                                    > It will be easier to test this patch and pyclewn 1.1 can now run with
                                    > Vim in a console.

                                    The documentation at

                                    http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/vim-patches.html

                                    has been updated with using Vim Mercurial repository instead of
                                    a Mercurial repository built from subversion.

                                    Xavier
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 11 11:55 AM
                                      Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                                      > I have setup a Mercurial Queues patch at
                                      > http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/vim-patches.html
                                      > It will be easier to test this patch and pyclewn 1.1 can now run with
                                      > Vim in a console.
                                      >
                                      > The major change from the patch I sent last April, is that netbeans
                                      > version has been increased to "2.5".
                                      >
                                      > Using Mercurial Queues for Vim patches, brings the following advantages:
                                      >
                                      > * the patch can be kept in sync with Vim development source tree
                                      > * it is easy to test the patch with Vim development source tree
                                      > * at any time, one can remove the patch with 'hg qpop'
                                      >
                                      > I will keep this patch in sync with Vim development source tree.

                                      I had a brief look at the patch. It changes a lot of code, I'll need to
                                      take more time to see what this actually changes.

                                      You move the code to connect for different GUI versions to another
                                      place, away from the disconnect code. I don't see a reason for this.
                                      Why not keep it as it was?

                                      --
                                      If evolution theories are correct, humans will soon grow a third
                                      hand for operating the mouse.

                                    • Xavier de Gaye
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 12 5:27 AM
                                        On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                        > You move the code to connect for different GUI versions to another
                                        > place, away from the disconnect code. I don't see a reason for this.
                                        > Why not keep it as it was?

                                        Hi Bram,

                                        netbeans_startup_done() has been split in two parts:
                                        * netbeans_connect()
                                        * a new function called netbeans_gui_register()

                                        This is needed so that when the user is running netbeans in a vim
                                        console, then netbeans is still available after the ":gui" command
                                        is run and vim switches to the gui interface (requiring only a call
                                        to netbeans_gui_register(), the socket being already connected).

                                        I have put the code of netbeans_gui_register() close to
                                        netbeans_startup_done() because they are related. But
                                        netbeans_gui_register() can be moved up close to the disconnect code.

                                        Xavier

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 14 11:32 AM
                                          Xavier de Gaye wrote:

                                          > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > You move the code to connect for different GUI versions to another
                                          > > place, away from the disconnect code. I don't see a reason for this.
                                          > > Why not keep it as it was?
                                          > >

                                          > Hi Bram,
                                          >
                                          > netbeans_startup_done() has been split in two parts:
                                          > * netbeans_connect()
                                          > * a new function called netbeans_gui_register()
                                          >
                                          > This is needed so that when the user is running netbeans in a vim
                                          > console, then netbeans is still available after the ":gui" command
                                          > is run and vim switches to the gui interface (requiring only a call
                                          > to netbeans_gui_register(), the socket being already connected).
                                          >
                                          > I have put the code of netbeans_gui_register() close to
                                          > netbeans_startup_done() because they are related. But
                                          > netbeans_gui_register() can be moved up close to the disconnect code.

                                          I find it most important to keep the code for a specific GUI together,
                                          if it's not too much hassle. So we have a block of code that's the
                                          GUI-specific implementation of the netbeans interface. If one would add
                                          another GUI most of the change would be to add another block here,
                                          instead of making changes all over the place.

                                          --
                                          A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.