Re: vim keyboard mode via X server.

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      On 02/10/08 00:30, Ian Kelling wrote:
      > I've read that Xorg X server can have keyboards change modes to do
      > international character set. It seems like you should be able to make
      > a vim mode where jikl are arrow keys, $ = end, ^ = home, ctrl-u =
      > pgup, ctrl-d = pgdn. There are some others. Anyone heard of this
      > before? Any suggestions?
      >
      > - Ian

      For programs run in an xterm or similar terminal, or for GUI programs,
      this is the responsibility of the program, not the X server, otherwise
      how would you type the letters hjkl into text? (almost any program needs
      to be able to use text, if only as the name of a file for its data).

      From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
      convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
      -- Groucho Marx, from "The Book of Insults"

    • Ian Kelling
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        > how would you type the letters hjkl into text? (almost any program needs
        > to be able to use text, if only as the name of a file for its data).

        From what I understand, international modes are togled on and off with
        a keypress. It would work the same way, like vim insert and normal
        mode.

        - Ian