vim keyboard mode via X server.

  • Ian Kelling
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      I've read that Xorg X server can have keyboards change modes to do
      international character set. It seems like you should be able to make
      a vim mode where jikl are arrow keys, $ = end, ^ = home, ctrl-u =
      pgup, ctrl-d = pgdn. There are some others. Anyone heard of this
      before? Any suggestions?

      - Ian

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        On 02/10/08 00:30, Ian Kelling wrote:
        > I've read that Xorg X server can have keyboards change modes to do
        > international character set. It seems like you should be able to make
        > a vim mode where jikl are arrow keys, $ = end, ^ = home, ctrl-u =
        > pgup, ctrl-d = pgdn. There are some others. Anyone heard of this
        > before? Any suggestions?
        >
        > - Ian

        For programs run in an xterm or similar terminal, or for GUI programs,
        this is the responsibility of the program, not the X server, otherwise
        how would you type the letters hjkl into text? (almost any program needs
        to be able to use text, if only as the name of a file for its data).

        From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
        convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
        -- Groucho Marx, from "The Book of Insults"

      • Ian Kelling
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          > how would you type the letters hjkl into text? (almost any program needs
          > to be able to use text, if only as the name of a file for its data).

          From what I understand, international modes are togled on and off with
          a keypress. It would work the same way, like vim insert and normal
          mode.

          - Ian