Re: synIDattr() and 'guisp' attribute [with patch]

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2008
      On 02/09/08 18:46, Charles Campbell wrote:
      > Matt Wozniski wrote:
      >> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >>
      >>> I'm seeing your message and I don't know the answer. Do you want a
      >>> similar message from everyone who doesn't know the answer?
      >>>
      >> Naturally not; your response was far more wasteful than my post
      >> already, and not just because of wasting twice as many bytes. My post
      >> was an obvious attempt to get confirmation from Bram that he has seen
      >> this and to ascertain whether he agrees, disagrees, or is or is not
      >> considering this simple patch. Your post, on the other hand,
      >> contributed nothing whatsoever.
      >>
      > <snip>
      >
      > Your "re-ping" contributed nothing whatsover; if you wanted a response
      > directly from Bram, it would've been better to re-send the message
      > directly to him. Your original request, as far as
      > trackability/history/etc, was reasonable IMHO to have put on the list.
      >
      > Chip Campbell

      Maybe I used (in the part you snipped) language which was felt unusually
      strong for this list. I guess it was a carryover from "Mozilla bug"
      language, where "spamming the bug" is used to mean "adding to a bug
      report commentaries which don't contribute to the solution" as used e.g.
      when some newbie discovers a bug and says "What!? A four-year-old bug
      and not yet solved? What are you Mozilla chair-warmers doing? I guess
      I'd better go back to IE".

      "I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
      make it shorter."
      -- Blaise Pascal

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2008
        Matt Wozniski wrote:

        > On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Matt Wozniski wrote:
        > > synIDattr() currently does not support the ability to read a 'guisp'
        > > attribute from a highlight group, even though the underlying C
        > > function it exposes does support it. I've attached a patch to update
        > > the interface and docs to allow and document, respectively, use of the
        > > 'sp' and 'sp#' attributes. Is there any other way to get this
        > > information on an older vim but using :redir?
        > >
        > > ~Matt
        >
        > Re-Ping?

        It's in the todo list.

        --
        I am also told that there is a logical proof out there somewhere
        that demonstrates that there is no task which duct tape cannot handle.