RE: Duplicate tags

  • Robert Webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27 7:09 AM
      Bram replied:

      > Robert Webb wrote:
      >
      > > If I use ":set tags = tags,../tags", and the tags file in the parent
      > > folder includes all the tags in the local folder (plus more from other
      > > folders), then I get tag matches repeated. Using taglist() the only
      > > difference is in the "file" field, which has a different relative path
      > > due to the ctags file being created one level higher. Shouldn't the
      > > duplicates be removed?
      >
      > There is not sufficient information to decide they are duplicate tags.
      > Not in general at least. There can be two identical lines. Vim jumps
      > to one of them, since the pattern is the same, but it's still two tags.

      If all tag fields are the same, then there's really nothing to be gained by
      keeping both.

      But we can be more certain that this anyway. If the two tags come from
      different tags files, but point to a tag in the same code file, then it
      seems pretty much guaranteed that it's a duplicate. When tags generated
      from the one code file appear in two separate tags files, surely these will
      represent the same tags.

      If two separate tags exist for the same name, then they will already be
      repeated within each of the tags files.

      Rob.

      --

      Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
      MineSweeper3D - Take Minesweeper to a whole new dimension!