Re: Spelling: Latin9 vs. Latin1

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
      On 04/08/08 23:37, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      > Note that you used windows-1252 encoding for this message, some
      > characters don't appear right for me.

      Next time I'll pay more attention. The strange thing is that although
      your message's headers say ISO-8859-1 8bit, the "non-Latin-1" characters
      in my quoted post display correctly in SeaMonkey (version 2.0a1pre for
      Linux). Saving the message source as an .eml file then examining it with
      Vim shows that they were indeed encoded in Windows-1252. (Maybe
      SeaMonkey will silently accept "invalid" Latin1 characters and assume
      they came from a b0rken Windows sender such as Word, and that it sent
      Windows-1252 text under a Latin1 label?)

      FYI (and that of any lurkers), here they are again in UTF-8:

      >> Indeed, the euro sign doesn't, but some other characters do. For
      >> instance, the French œ Œ (oe OE) digraph, or the capital Y with
      >> diaeresis, and maybe others, exist in Latin9 (iso-8859-15) but not in
      >> Latin1 (iso-8859-1). The œ digraph exists in such common French
      >> words as cœur (heart), sœur (sister), œil (eye), œuf
      >> (egg), bœuf (ox, beef), vœu (wish), etc.; even œil-de-bœuf
      >> (Engl. oeil-de-boeuf) with two of them; these digraphs are also used
      >> for transliteration of some Latin and Greek words, e.g. in Œdipe
      >> (Oedipus), œsophage (oesophagus), etc.
      >>
      >> These characters have the following values:
      >> Π(Latin9 0xBC) U+0152 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER OE
      >> œ (Latin9 0xBD) U+0153 LATIN SMALL LETTER OE
      >> Ÿ (Latin9 0xBE) U+0178 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS
      >>
      >> When a Latin9 file containing them is read by mistake in Latin1, here is
      >> what we get:
      >> U+00BC ¼ VULGAR FRACTION ONE-QUARTER
      >> U+00BD ½ VULGAR FRACTION ONE-HALF
      >> U+00BE ¾ VULGAR FRACTION THREE-QUARTERS

      There was a plane crash over mid-ocean, and only three survivors were
      left in the life-raft: the Pope, the President, and Mayor Daley.
      Unfortunately, it was a one-man life-raft, and quickly sinking, so they
      started debating who should be allowed to stay.

      The Pope pointed out that he was the spiritual leader of millions all
      over the world, the President explained that if he died then America
      would be stuck with the Vice-President, and so forth. Then Mayor Daley
      said, "Look! We're not solving anything like this! The only fair
      thing to do is to vote on it." So they did, and Mayor Daley won by 97
      votes.