Re: Thesaurus file(s), broken link => how to get one?

  • H. Sasse
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      sc wrote:
      > On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

      >>> I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
      >>>
      >>> *Forbidden*
      >>> You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

      OK, technically not broken, but as good as broken in that "it no longer
      works".

      >> Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
      >> the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
      >> ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

      Those appear to be lists of words. No thesaurus file.

      >>> Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
      >>> suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the

      No, I pruned the URL back to the main site and there is no way to do that.
      Also, the assumption is false that it would be necessary to register on
      a .co.uk
      site: *.demon.co.uk have been indivual sites provided by an ISP. Also
      bbc.co.uk
      provides quite a lot of free content. There are .co.uk mirrors, to keep
      stuff local
      [ or "for all the jackdaw reasons" :-)]
      >>> wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
      >>> free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.

      >> Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
      >> the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
      >> the thesaurus part.

      If people are using this feature in Vim, it shouldn't even be necessary.

      >> Regards,
      >> Peter
      >>

      > i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
      > downloadable thesaurus at
      >
      > http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

      That seems to be a list of software. There is the Gutenburg Roget's
      Thesaurus,
      and provided the "Small Print" section is removed then I think we can
      use that
      instead, but it will need more work.

      So, is anyone using this feature, is there a way to include spaces in a
      word, and
      is there any interest in providing a thesaurus file hosted at the vim site?

      Hugh