Re: Thesaurus file(s), broken link => how to get one?

  • sc
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

      > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 12:51:40 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > >
      > > On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
      > > > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
      > > > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
      > > > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
      > > > (:he thesaurus) says
      > > >
      > > > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
      > > > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
      > > >
      > > > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
      > > > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
      > > > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
      > > > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
      > > > issues.
      > >
      > > I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
      > >
      > > *Forbidden*
      > > You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.
      >
      > Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
      > the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
      > ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/
      >
      > > Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
      > > suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
      > > wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
      > > free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.
      > >

      > > > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
      > > > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
      > > > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
      > > >
      > > > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
      > > > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
      > > > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
      > > > that.
      >
      > Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
      > the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
      > the thesaurus part.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Peter

      i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
      downloadable thesaurus at

      http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

      sc

    • H. Sasse
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
        sc wrote:
        > On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

        >>> I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
        >>>
        >>> *Forbidden*
        >>> You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

        OK, technically not broken, but as good as broken in that "it no longer
        works".

        >> Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
        >> the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
        >> ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

        Those appear to be lists of words. No thesaurus file.

        >>> Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
        >>> suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the

        No, I pruned the URL back to the main site and there is no way to do that.
        Also, the assumption is false that it would be necessary to register on
        a .co.uk
        site: *.demon.co.uk have been indivual sites provided by an ISP. Also
        bbc.co.uk
        provides quite a lot of free content. There are .co.uk mirrors, to keep
        stuff local
        [ or "for all the jackdaw reasons" :-)]
        >>> wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
        >>> free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.

        >> Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
        >> the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
        >> the thesaurus part.

        If people are using this feature in Vim, it shouldn't even be necessary.

        >> Regards,
        >> Peter
        >>

        > i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
        > downloadable thesaurus at
        >
        > http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

        That seems to be a list of software. There is the Gutenburg Roget's
        Thesaurus,
        and provided the "Small Print" section is removed then I think we can
        use that
        instead, but it will need more work.

        So, is anyone using this feature, is there a way to include spaces in a
        word, and
        is there any interest in providing a thesaurus file hosted at the vim site?

        Hugh