Re: Thesaurus file(s), broken link => how to get one?

  • Peter Cech
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 4:46 AM
      On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 12:51:40 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
      > > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
      > > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
      > > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
      > > (:he thesaurus) says
      > >
      > > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
      > > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
      > >
      > > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
      > > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
      > > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
      > > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
      > > issues.
      >
      > I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
      >
      > *Forbidden*
      > You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

      Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
      the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
      ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

      > Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
      > suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
      > wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
      > free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.
      >

      > > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
      > > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
      > > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
      > >
      > > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
      > > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
      > > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
      > > that.

      Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
      the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
      the thesaurus part.

      Regards,
      Peter

    • sc
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 5:44 AM
        On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

        > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 12:51:40 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > >
        > > On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
        > > > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
        > > > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
        > > > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
        > > > (:he thesaurus) says
        > > >
        > > > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
        > > > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
        > > >
        > > > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
        > > > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
        > > > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
        > > > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
        > > > issues.
        > >
        > > I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
        > >
        > > *Forbidden*
        > > You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.
        >
        > Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
        > the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
        > ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/
        >
        > > Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
        > > suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
        > > wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
        > > free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.
        > >

        > > > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
        > > > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
        > > > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
        > > >
        > > > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
        > > > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
        > > > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
        > > > that.
        >
        > Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
        > the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
        > the thesaurus part.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Peter

        i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
        downloadable thesaurus at

        http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

        sc

      • H. Sasse
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 12:36 PM
          sc wrote:
          > On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

          >>> I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
          >>>
          >>> *Forbidden*
          >>> You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

          OK, technically not broken, but as good as broken in that "it no longer
          works".

          >> Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
          >> the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
          >> ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

          Those appear to be lists of words. No thesaurus file.

          >>> Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
          >>> suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the

          No, I pruned the URL back to the main site and there is no way to do that.
          Also, the assumption is false that it would be necessary to register on
          a .co.uk
          site: *.demon.co.uk have been indivual sites provided by an ISP. Also
          bbc.co.uk
          provides quite a lot of free content. There are .co.uk mirrors, to keep
          stuff local
          [ or "for all the jackdaw reasons" :-)]
          >>> wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
          >>> free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.

          >> Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
          >> the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
          >> the thesaurus part.

          If people are using this feature in Vim, it shouldn't even be necessary.

          >> Regards,
          >> Peter
          >>

          > i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
          > downloadable thesaurus at
          >
          > http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

          That seems to be a list of software. There is the Gutenburg Roget's
          Thesaurus,
          and provided the "Small Print" section is removed then I think we can
          use that
          instead, but it will need more work.

          So, is anyone using this feature, is there a way to include spaces in a
          word, and
          is there any interest in providing a thesaurus file hosted at the vim site?

          Hugh