Re: Thesaurus file(s), broken link => how to get one?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
      > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
      > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
      > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
      > (:he thesaurus) says
      >
      > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
      > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
      >
      > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
      > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
      > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
      > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
      > issues.

      I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:

      *Forbidden*
      You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

      Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
      suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
      wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
      free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.

      > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
      > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
      > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
      >
      > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
      > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
      > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
      > that.
      >
      > And I have one more question about the file format for the thesaurus:
      > I understand words follow the pattern of keywords. Take the word
      > "chatter". Wordnet turns up the following as thesaurus entries:
      >
      > chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat,
      > chit-chat,
      > chatter, chaffer, natter, gossip, jaw, claver, visit
      >
      > A significant number of these contain whitespace or hyphens. Is the
      > thesaurus facility in Vim unable to cope with that, or have I missed a
      > way of composing the file so it could? I wondered about some kind of
      > non-breaking space that one might use instead. Failing that, one might
      > use "_" I suppose.
      >
      > Thank you
      > Hugh

      93. New mail alarm on your palmtop annoys other churchgoers.

    • Peter Cech
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
        On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 12:51:40 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
        > > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
        > > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
        > > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
        > > (:he thesaurus) says
        > >
        > > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
        > > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
        > >
        > > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
        > > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
        > > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
        > > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
        > > issues.
        >
        > I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
        >
        > *Forbidden*
        > You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

        Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
        the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
        ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

        > Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
        > suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
        > wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
        > free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.
        >

        > > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
        > > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
        > > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
        > >
        > > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
        > > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
        > > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
        > > that.

        Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
        the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
        the thesaurus part.

        Regards,
        Peter

      • sc
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
          On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

          > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 12:51:40 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > >
          > > On 03/08/08 00:51, H. Sasse wrote:
          > > > Reading about omnicomplete and thereabouts in the docs, I found
          > > > out about the thesaurus facility. I can see this could be quite useful
          > > > in breaking writing habits. However, the text in the help file
          > > > (:he thesaurus) says
          > > >
          > > > To obtain a file to be used here, check out the wordlist FAQ at
          > > > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk .
          > > >
          > > > I've tried that and there is a link to word lists. This link is broken,
          > > > however. So, I did my best to find another source for such a file so
          > > > I could send a helpful patch. However, I can't find a free file of
          > > > this kind on the internet, and anything else would lead to copyright
          > > > issues.
          > >
          > > I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
          > >
          > > *Forbidden*
          > > You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.
          >
          > Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
          > the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
          > ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/
          >
          > > Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
          > > suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the
          > > wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
          > > free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.
          > >

          > > > So, are people known to be using this, and would the people who are
          > > > be willing to help someone (that will probably end up being me now
          > > > I've started this!) compile a file which could be distributed with Vim?
          > > >
          > > > I've looked at Wordnet, and the output is designed to be read by
          > > > humans, and generating a comprehensive list of suitable thesaurus
          > > > entries would thus be nontrivial. But if it is the only way I will try
          > > > that.
          >
          > Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
          > the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
          > the thesaurus part.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Peter

          i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
          downloadable thesaurus at

          http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

          sc

        • H. Sasse
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
            sc wrote:
            > On Sunday 03 August 2008 06:46, Peter Cech wrote:

            >>> I don't see a broken link but a forbidden link:
            >>>
            >>> *Forbidden*
            >>> You don't have permission to access /wordlist/ on this server.

            OK, technically not broken, but as good as broken in that "it no longer
            works".

            >> Looks like all the webpage files got deleted. The WayBack Machine shows
            >> the site alive about a year ago and there is a link to some wordlists:
            >> ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists/

            Those appear to be lists of words. No thesaurus file.

            >>> Since anything ending in .co.uk means a British _commercial_ site, I
            >>> suppose you have to register (for £££) before you can get access to the

            No, I pruned the URL back to the main site and there is no way to do that.
            Also, the assumption is false that it would be necessary to register on
            a .co.uk
            site: *.demon.co.uk have been indivual sites provided by an ISP. Also
            bbc.co.uk
            provides quite a lot of free content. There are .co.uk mirrors, to keep
            stuff local
            [ or "for all the jackdaw reasons" :-)]
            >>> wordlists. This, of course, leaves whole the problem of how to get a
            >>> free thesaurus. Maybe there is none.

            >> Well, Wordnet code is open source and there is also documentation for
            >> the database files, so it should not be that complicated to extract just
            >> the thesaurus part.

            If people are using this feature in Vim, it shouldn't even be necessary.

            >> Regards,
            >> Peter
            >>

            > i can't say how good it is, but it appears there is a
            > downloadable thesaurus at
            >
            > http://www.translatum.gr/dictionaries/download-english.htm

            That seems to be a list of software. There is the Gutenburg Roget's
            Thesaurus,
            and provided the "Small Print" section is removed then I think we can
            use that
            instead, but it will need more work.

            So, is anyone using this feature, is there a way to include spaces in a
            word, and
            is there any interest in providing a thesaurus file hosted at the vim site?

            Hugh