A git from scratch repository of vim since vim-6.0

  • Christian MICHON
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Bram, Developers,

      it took a while, but it's finally available...

      Test it, play with it: have fun with it!

      It's at the following URL:

      http://github.com/cmichon/vim

      For "those who never used git", no worries:
      - just use the web interface, you can grab tarballs of a specific
      version/commit using the "download" button.
      - you can also navigate using the "network" tab and slide through vim
      history (each dot will give you a pop up with commit details).

      For git users: you can clone it at:
      git://github.com/cmichon/vim.git

      I intend to update it accordingly in the future. If you notice
      mistakes, I can fix them: let me know.
      I already know the test22 file has issues (CTRL-M was not respected
      actually: ignore this for now).

      Keep in mind that:
      - this is not upstream of course
      - all commits are "from Bram" (I managed to keep ownership and dates)
      - each release has its own branch (master=7.1)
      - tags point to the pristine/official releases (the tags seem not to
      work using the web interface ? to be confirmed)
      - this will not include the betas, only pristine/official releases and
      the usual set of patches from Bram
      - I did not include the lang yet. This is mostly vim+extra, so
      compilation on Windows should work too.

      Here's the nice bits:
      - Git users should be able to use this easily to rebase partially
      bitrotted patches
      - you can cherry pick features from 7.1 and backport them to 7.0 using git
      - we should be able to maintain specific patches using branches
      - you can virtually clone the whole history since September 2001

      This was a fun experience!

      Please share your comments too.

      --
      Christian
      --

    • Henrik Öhman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008

        [...]

        Very pretty. :)

        The commit messages seem to be slightly broken in that they have hard line breaks and indentation in text. It could perhaps be solved by removing any line breaks except where the next word is "Problem:", "Solution:" or "Files:", but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

        Henrik.

      • Richard Hartmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
          On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 13:12, Henrik Öhman <Henrik.Ohman@...> wrote:

          > The commit messages seem to be slightly broken in that they have hard line breaks and indentation in text. It could perhaps be solved by removing any line breaks except where the next word is "Problem:", "Solution:" or "Files:", but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

          Which might be a good opportunity to once again point to RFC 3676
          [1]. This would be a worthwhile addition to Vim & it would help solve
          the problem at hand nicely if it had been used, back then.

          Richard

          [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

        • Markus Heidelberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2008
            Christian MICHON, 02.07.2008:

            > it took a while, but it's finally available...

            That's great!

            > Keep in mind that:
            > - this is not upstream of course

            With the only difference that it's inofficial, right?

            > - each release has its own branch (master=7.1)
            > - this will not include the betas, only pristine/official releases and
            > the usual set of patches from Bram

            What speaks against a branch for 7.2a?

            > Here's the nice bits:
            > - Git users should be able to use this easily to rebase partially
            > bitrotted patches
            > - we should be able to maintain specific patches using branches

            Do you have the recently started "Vim Patches Project" discussion in mind?

            If this tree would be kept up-to-date to some extent, I'd like use it in favor
            of the subversion access. But of course there should be a branch for the head
            of development (7.2a).

            Markus

          • Christian MICHON
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
              On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Markus Heidelberg
              <markus.heidelberg@...> wrote:
              >> Keep in mind that:
              >> - this is not upstream of course
              >
              > With the only difference that it's inofficial, right?

              exactly! the purpose is to keep an updated version, as accurate as
              cvs/svn/tarballs+patches with correct dates and ownership.

              >> - each release has its own branch (master=7.1)
              >> - this will not include the betas, only pristine/official releases and
              >> the usual set of patches from Bram
              >
              > What speaks against a branch for 7.2a?

              The purpose was for released versions if possible. I guess I can
              create (soon) a branch for 7.2a. I'll see if I get good internet
              access in the next 4 weeks or not (holidays).

              >> Here's the nice bits:
              >> - Git users should be able to use this easily to rebase partially
              >> bitrotted patches
              >> - we should be able to maintain specific patches using branches
              >
              > Do you have the recently started "Vim Patches Project" discussion in mind?

              yes, that was my point. you could keep this "vim patches project" in
              sync as a branch and update it accordingly.

              > If this tree would be kept up-to-date to some extent, I'd like use it in favor
              > of the subversion access. But of course there should be a branch for the head
              > of development (7.2a).

              I'll keep it up to date (maybe not for the next 4 weeks at least).
              I'll try to get this 7.2a branch started soon. (this is git: I should
              be able to do it on the plane :-))

              --
              Christian

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
                On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Henrik Öhman <Henrik.Ohman@...> wrote:
                >> It's at the following URL:
                >>
                >> http://github.com/cmichon/vim
                >>
                > [...]
                >
                > Very pretty. :)

                thanks! it's not my doing: the github interface design is cool indeed.

                > The commit messages seem to be slightly broken in that they have hard line breaks and indentation in text. It could perhaps be solved by removing any line breaks except where the next word is "Problem:", "Solution:" or "Files:", but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

                well, the script I used and the patches once formatted (mostly date
                recovery) are in a separate git repository so I could therefore
                perform this (minor) update nicely.

                --
                Christian