Re: In Windows, :ruby command is not works around socket

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      > I found a ruby command's bug on Windows VIM.
      >
      > :ruby require 'open-uri'
      > :ruby open('http://google.com/')
      > => SocketError: `initialize': getaddrinfo: non-recoverable failure in
      > name resolution.
      > :ruby open('http://66.249.89.147')
      > => vim dies
      >
      > In Windows, NtInitialize() should called when initializing Ruby.
      > Otherwise, socket is never initialized.
      >
      > Here is patch.

      Thanks for looking into this.

      I don't include patches without knowing the name of the author. If you
      are scared you can mail me directly.

      About this part:

      #ifdef _WIN32
      int argc;
      char *argv[] = {"gvim.exe"};
      NtInitialize(&argc, (char***)&argv);
      #endif

      I think "argc" should be set to 1. Typecasting should not be needed for
      argv. How about this instead:

      #ifdef _WIN32
      int argc = 1;
      char *argv[] = {"gvim.exe"};
      NtInitialize(&argc, &argv);
      #endif

      131. You challenge authority and society by portnuking people

    • Anton Sharonov
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2008
        In case, that subject will not be correctly recognized by mail
        clients, I'm trying to continue old thread "In Windows, :ruby
        command is not works around socket" [1]:

        1 Jul., 04:00 todesking wrote:
        > I found a ruby command's bug on Windows VIM.
        >
        > :ruby require 'open-uri'
        > :ruby open('http://google.com/')
        > => SocketError: `initialize': getaddrinfo: non-recoverable
        > failure in
        > name resolution.
        > :ruby open('http://66.249.89.147')
        > => vim dies

        I can confirm that bug still persist in recent VIM (7.2, Included
        patches: 1-69).

        I can confirm as well, that proposed patch fixes that (I have
        modified this according Bram's proposal with initialization of
        argc = 1 and removing typecasting).

        --
        Anton

        [1] Original thread "In Windows, :ruby command is not works
        around socket"

        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/528607752ef92e68