Re: 7.2a: No color in xterm?

  • Marc Haisenko
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 9:34 AM
      On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > On 2008-07-01, Marc Haisenko <haisenko@...> wrote:
      > > On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
      > > > xterm has color capabilities for ages and the terminfo xterm entry
      > > > contains this information.
      > >
      > > Yes, but in a lot of places it is still assumed that "xterm" means
      > > monochrome. For example, try OpenSolaris: if TERM=xterm you'll get a
      > > monochrome vim. Setting it to "xterm-color" or "xterm-256color" fixes
      > > that. I ran into this when I installed OpenSolaris a few weeks back :-)
      > >
      > > Code that outputs color escape sequences for "xterm" is, in a very strict
      > > sense, wrong. Of course there's always the
      > > "correct-according-to-the-specs" vs. "Do-What-I-Mean" conflict :-)
      >
      > The terminfo description for "xterm" that is distributed with xterm
      (from XFree86/X.org)
      > itself, which I would think would make it definitive, says it
      > supports 8 colors.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Gary

      ...which ALSO is wrong because it supports 256 colors as you verify yourself
      with the attached script.

      As you can see, the UNIX way of handling output is severely broken and always
      has been because there's just no way that the terminal can tell the system
      and/or application what it CAN support. We only have some files saying what
      the system THINKS a given terminal can support. It doesn't know for sure and
      just hopes for the best.

      Also, see the ncurses FAQ entry about the issue:
      http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#no_xterm_color

      Sorry for the off-topic line noise, will keep my mouth shut now :-)

      Marc

      --
      Marc Haisenko

      Comdasys AG