7.2a: No color in xterm?

  • Corinna Vinschen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi,

      When running 7.2a in an xterm under Cygwin, the color capabilities
      of the xterm are not used. Rather, vim uses only standard terminal
      capabilities like underline, bold, etc.

      This doesn't happen with vim 7.1. Running vim 7.1 in an xterm under
      Cygwin shows all colors the xterm is capable of.
      in the syntax color settings.

      The entire environment is otherwise identical. Both versions are build
      as HUGE versions:

      :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Nov 21 2007 17:43:28)
      Compiled by corinna@coffee
      Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
      +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
      +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
      +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
      +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
      -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
      -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
      -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
      -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
      -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
      +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
      +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
      Linking:
      gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lncurses -liconv -lintl

      :version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2a BETA (2008 Jun 24, compiled Jun 25 2008 12:24:52)
      Compiled by corinna@cathi
      Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
      +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
      +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
      +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
      +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
      -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
      +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript
      +printer +profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
      +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
      +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
      -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
      Linking:
      gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lm -ltermcap -liconv -lintl

      What could be the reason?

      Corinna

      --
      Corinna Vinschen
      Cygwin Project Co-Leader

    • Jürgen Krämer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi,

        Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [...]
        > -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
        > +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript
        > +printer +profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
        > +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
        > +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
        > -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
        > +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
        > -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        > system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        > user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        > user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        > fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
        > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
        > Linking:
        > gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lm -ltermcap -liconv -lintl

        +viminfo

        vs.

        -viminfo

        Regards,
        Jürgen

      • Jürgen Krämer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi,

          Jürgen Krämer wrote:

> [...]
          >> -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
          >> +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript
          >> +printer +profile -python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
          >> +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
          >> +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title
          >> -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
          >> +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
          >> -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
          >> system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
          >> user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
          >> user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
          >> fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
          >> Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2
          >> Linking:
          >> gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lm -ltermcap -liconv -lintl

          Sorry, I wanted to write

          +terminfo

          vs.

          -terminfo

          Regards,
          Jürgen

        • Marc Haisenko
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
            On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > When running 7.2a in an xterm under Cygwin, the color capabilities
            > of the xterm are not used. Rather, vim uses only standard terminal
            > capabilities like underline, bold, etc.
            >
            > This doesn't happen with vim 7.1. Running vim 7.1 in an xterm under
            > Cygwin shows all colors the xterm is capable of.
            > in the syntax color settings.

            Well, "xterm" really has no color support. It was monochrome. You need to set
            the TERM variable to either "xterm-color" or even "xterm-256color".

            If you don't want to do that, a work-around is descriped in vim's help, "help
            color-xterm".
            Marc

            --
            Marc Haisenko

            Comdasys AG
            Rüdesheimer Str. 7
            80686 München
            Germany

            Tel.: +49 (0)89 548 433 321

          • Corinna Vinschen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
              On Jul 1 16:16, J?rgen Kr?mer wrote:
              > > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
              > >> :version
              > >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Nov 21 2007 17:43:28)
              > >> [...]
              > >> Linking:
              > >> gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lncurses -liconv -lintl
              > >>

              > >> :version
              > >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2a BETA (2008 Jun 24, compiled Jun 25 2008 12:24:52)
              > >> [...]
              > >> Linking:
              > >> gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o vim.exe -lm -ltermcap -liconv -lintl
              > >>[...]
              > Sorry, I wanted to write
              >
              > +terminfo
              >
              > vs.
              >
              > -terminfo

              Ouch! You're right. The new version is accidentally built against
              termcap instead of ncurses because I missed to install the ncurses-devel
              package.

              Thanks for noticing!

              Corinna

              --
              Corinna Vinschen
              Cygwin Project Co-Leader

            • Corinna Vinschen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                On Jul 1 16:37, Marc Haisenko wrote:
                > On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > When running 7.2a in an xterm under Cygwin, the color capabilities
                > > of the xterm are not used. Rather, vim uses only standard terminal
                > > capabilities like underline, bold, etc.
                > >
                > > This doesn't happen with vim 7.1. Running vim 7.1 in an xterm under
                > > Cygwin shows all colors the xterm is capable of.
                > > in the syntax color settings.
                >
                > Well, "xterm" really has no color support. It was monochrome. You need to set
                > the TERM variable to either "xterm-color" or even "xterm-256color".

                xterm has color capabilities for ages and the terminfo xterm entry
                contains this information. Of course, when linking against libtermcap
                instead of ncurses... ;)

                Corinna

                --
                Corinna Vinschen
                Cygwin Project Co-Leader

              • Marc Haisenko
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                  On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
                  > xterm has color capabilities for ages and the terminfo xterm entry
                  > contains this information.

                  Yes, but in a lot of places it is still assumed that "xterm" means monochrome.
                  For example, try OpenSolaris: if TERM=xterm you'll get a monochrome vim.
                  Setting it to "xterm-color" or "xterm-256color" fixes that. I ran into this
                  when I installed OpenSolaris a few weeks back :-)

                  Code that outputs color escape sequences for "xterm" is, in a very strict
                  sense, wrong. Of course there's always the "correct-according-to-the-specs"
                  vs. "Do-What-I-Mean" conflict :-)

                  > Of course, when linking against libtermcap instead of ncurses... ;)
                  >
                  > Corinna

                  Hehe :-)

                  Marc

                  --
                  Marc Haisenko

                  Comdasys AG
                  Rüdesheimer Str. 7
                  80686 München
                  Germany

                  Tel.: +49 (0)89 548 433 321

                • Gary Johnson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                    On 2008-07-01, Marc Haisenko <haisenko@...> wrote:
                    > On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
                    > > xterm has color capabilities for ages and the terminfo xterm entry
                    > > contains this information.
                    >
                    > Yes, but in a lot of places it is still assumed that "xterm" means monochrome.
                    > For example, try OpenSolaris: if TERM=xterm you'll get a monochrome vim.
                    > Setting it to "xterm-color" or "xterm-256color" fixes that. I ran into this
                    > when I installed OpenSolaris a few weeks back :-)
                    >
                    > Code that outputs color escape sequences for "xterm" is, in a very strict
                    > sense, wrong. Of course there's always the "correct-according-to-the-specs"
                    > vs. "Do-What-I-Mean" conflict :-)

                    The terminfo description for "xterm" that is distributed with xterm
                    itself, which I would think would make it definitive, says it
                    supports 8 colors.

                    Regards,
                    Gary

                  • Marc Haisenko
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2008
                      On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Gary Johnson wrote:
                      > On 2008-07-01, Marc Haisenko <haisenko@...> wrote:
                      > > On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
                      > > > xterm has color capabilities for ages and the terminfo xterm entry
                      > > > contains this information.
                      > >
                      > > Yes, but in a lot of places it is still assumed that "xterm" means
                      > > monochrome. For example, try OpenSolaris: if TERM=xterm you'll get a
                      > > monochrome vim. Setting it to "xterm-color" or "xterm-256color" fixes
                      > > that. I ran into this when I installed OpenSolaris a few weeks back :-)
                      > >
                      > > Code that outputs color escape sequences for "xterm" is, in a very strict
                      > > sense, wrong. Of course there's always the
                      > > "correct-according-to-the-specs" vs. "Do-What-I-Mean" conflict :-)
                      >
                      > The terminfo description for "xterm" that is distributed with xterm
                      (from XFree86/X.org)
                      > itself, which I would think would make it definitive, says it
                      > supports 8 colors.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Gary

                      ...which ALSO is wrong because it supports 256 colors as you verify yourself
                      with the attached script.

                      As you can see, the UNIX way of handling output is severely broken and always
                      has been because there's just no way that the terminal can tell the system
                      and/or application what it CAN support. We only have some files saying what
                      the system THINKS a given terminal can support. It doesn't know for sure and
                      just hopes for the best.

                      Also, see the ncurses FAQ entry about the issue:
                      http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#no_xterm_color

                      Sorry for the off-topic line noise, will keep my mouth shut now :-)

                      Marc

                      --
                      Marc Haisenko

                      Comdasys AG