where can I find tar.gz of all vim-dev messages ?

  • Christian MICHON
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi Bram,

      I'm consolidating the dates I extracted from the ftp server for the
      git repo I'm creating, but I expect some of these dates to be off
      versus the mailing list dates.

      Is there somewhere where I could download mbox format of all vim-dev
      messages since let's say version 6.0 ? Thanks in advance.

      --
      Christian
      --

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
        On 30/06/08 23:00, Christian MICHON wrote:
        > Hi Bram,
        >
        > I'm consolidating the dates I extracted from the ftp server for the
        > git repo I'm creating, but I expect some of these dates to be off
        > versus the mailing list dates.
        >
        > Is there somewhere where I could download mbox format of all vim-dev
        > messages since let's say version 6.0 ? Thanks in advance.

        See http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim-dev under "Archive". I
        don't know under what format the archives are held.

        7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure)
        The Bionic Dog gets a hormonal short-circuit and violates the
        Mann Act with an interstate Greyhound bus.

      • Christian MICHON
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
          On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > See http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim-dev under "Archive". I
          > don't know under what format the archives are held.

          web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
          after I individually download each page individually.

          might be the case, since both yahoo groups and google groups do not
          allow such downloads.

          Bram,

          is there any earlier post than year 2000 ? I seem unable to find
          earlier than this date...

          --
          Christian
          --

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
            On 2008-06-30, Christian MICHON <christian.michon@...> wrote:
            > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Tony Mechelynck
            > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            > > See http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim-dev under "Archive". I
            > > don't know under what format the archives are held.
            > >

            > web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
            > after I individually download each page individually.
            >
            > might be the case, since both yahoo groups and google groups do not
            > allow such downloads.
            >
            > Bram,
            >
            > is there any earlier post than year 2000 ? I seem unable to find
            > earlier than this date...

            FWIW, I have an incomplete set from Patch 6.2.058 on 03 Aug 2003
            through 6.2.461, then what appears to be a complete set from 6.2.462
            to the present, except for 6.3.083, 6.3.084 and perhaps a few others
            when I've had mail delivery problems.

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
              On 01/07/08 01:05, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > On 2008-06-30, Christian MICHON<christian.michon@...> wrote:
              >> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Tony Mechelynck
              >> <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
              >>> See http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim-dev under "Archive". I
              >>> don't know under what format the archives are held.
              >>>
              >> web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
              >> after I individually download each page individually.
              >>
              >> might be the case, since both yahoo groups and google groups do not
              >> allow such downloads.
              >>
              >> Bram,
              >>
              >> is there any earlier post than year 2000 ? I seem unable to find
              >> earlier than this date...
              >
              > FWIW, I have an incomplete set from Patch 6.2.058 on 03 Aug 2003
              > through 6.2.461, then what appears to be a complete set from 6.2.462
              > to the present, except for 6.3.083, 6.3.084 and perhaps a few others
              > when I've had mail delivery problems.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Gary

              The OP talked about all vim-dev _messages_. There has been a lot of
              messages on vim-dev about how to build vim with this or that feature
              enabled or using this or that compiler. If you're only interested in the
              _patches_, they are available at ftp.vim.org (with additional "summary"
              patches for 1-100, 101-200, etc., in gzipped format starting at 6.0).
              The oldest one that I can see is 5.7.001. There are subdirectories "per
              version" starting at 6.3.

              35. Your husband tells you he's had the beard for 2 months.

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
                On 2008-07-01, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                > On 01/07/08 01:05, Gary Johnson wrote:
                > > On 2008-06-30, Christian MICHON<christian.michon@...> wrote:
                > >>>
                > >> web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
                > >> after I individually download each page individually.
                > >>
                > >> might be the case, since both yahoo groups and google groups do not
                > >> allow such downloads.
                > >>
                > >> Bram,
                > >>
                > >> is there any earlier post than year 2000 ? I seem unable to find
                > >> earlier than this date...
                > >
                > > FWIW, I have an incomplete set from Patch 6.2.058 on 03 Aug 2003
                > > through 6.2.461, then what appears to be a complete set from 6.2.462
                > > to the present, except for 6.3.083, 6.3.084 and perhaps a few others
                > > when I've had mail delivery problems.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Gary
                >
                > The OP talked about all vim-dev _messages_. There has been a lot of
                > messages on vim-dev about how to build vim with this or that feature
                > enabled or using this or that compiler. If you're only interested in the
                > _patches_, they are available at ftp.vim.org (with additional "summary"
                > patches for 1-100, 101-200, etc., in gzipped format starting at 6.0).
                > The oldest one that I can see is 5.7.001. There are subdirectories "per
                > version" starting at 6.3.

                What he said was,

                I'm consolidating the dates I extracted from the ftp server for
                the git repo I'm creating, but I expect some of these dates to be
                off versus the mailing list dates.

                So I thought he was looking for the dates of Bram's patch messages
                to the vim-dev list, which is what I can provide.

                Regards,
                Gary

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
                  On 01/07/08 01:50, Gary Johnson wrote:
                  > On 2008-07-01, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

                  >>> FWIW, I have an incomplete set from Patch 6.2.058 on 03 Aug 2003
                  >>> through 6.2.461, then what appears to be a complete set from 6.2.462
                  >>> to the present, except for 6.3.083, 6.3.084 and perhaps a few others
                  >>> when I've had mail delivery problems.
                  >>>
                  >>> Regards,
                  >>> Gary
                  >> The OP talked about all vim-dev _messages_. There has been a lot of
                  >> messages on vim-dev about how to build vim with this or that feature
                  >> enabled or using this or that compiler. If you're only interested in the
                  >> _patches_, they are available at ftp.vim.org (with additional "summary"
                  >> patches for 1-100, 101-200, etc., in gzipped format starting at 6.0).
                  >> The oldest one that I can see is 5.7.001. There are subdirectories "per
                  >> version" starting at 6.3.
                  >
                  > What he said was,
                  >
                  > I'm consolidating the dates I extracted from the ftp server for
                  > the git repo I'm creating, but I expect some of these dates to be
                  > off versus the mailing list dates.
                  >
                  > So I thought he was looking for the dates of Bram's patch messages
                  > to the vim-dev list, which is what I can provide.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Gary

                  After what you quoted above, there was a 2nd paragraph:

                  Is there somewhere where I could download mbox format of all vim-dev
                  messages since let's say version 6.0 ? Thanks in advance.

                  He said "all vim-dev messages" so I assumed he wanted _all_ the
                  back-and-forth talk on the vim-dev group, not just the patches, which
                  can still be found on the FTP server since 5.7.

                  Experience is the worst teacher. It always gives the test first and
                  the instruction afterward.

                • Christian MICHON
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008
                    On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Tony Mechelynck
                    <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                    > He said "all vim-dev messages" so I assumed he wanted _all_ the
                    > back-and-forth talk on the vim-dev group, not just the patches, which
                    > can still be found on the FTP server since 5.7.

                    this is what I meant indeed... all of them.

                    --
                    Christian
                    --

                  • Richard Hartmann
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                      On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 23:17, Christian MICHON
                      <christian.michon@...> wrote:

                      > web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
                      > after I individually download each page individually.

                      wget comes to mind. I am sure you will find a script to do what you
                      want. Wanting web archives in a sane format is not too uncommon,
                      after all.

                      Richard

                    • Christian MICHON
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Richard Hartmann
                        <richih.mailinglist@...> wrote:
                        > wget comes to mind. I am sure you will find a script to do what you
                        > want. Wanting web archives in a sane format is not too uncommon,
                        > after all.

                        thanks for suggesting it. as I mentioned, it would have been the last resort.

                        fortunately, our dear Bram updates version.c for each patch, so
                        extracting the date for each change of version.c is good enough for a
                        representative commit date. I'm almost done thanks to this trick.

                        ;-)

                        --
                        Christian

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Christian Michon wrote:

                          > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                          > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                          > > See http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php#vim-dev under "Archive". I
                          > > don't know under what format the archives are held.
                          > >

                          > web based format, close to useless unless I write a clever awk script
                          > after I individually download each page individually.
                          >
                          > might be the case, since both yahoo groups and google groups do not
                          > allow such downloads.

                          Doesn't Google have a gdata interface for groups?

                          > Bram,
                          >
                          > is there any earlier post than year 2000 ? I seem unable to find
                          > earlier than this date...

                          Very probably, but Yahoo decided to delete old messages to save space
                          :-(.

                          136. You decide to stay in a low-paying job teaching just for the
                          free Internet access.