Re: Missing files in rsync repository?

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
      On 28/06/08 08:08, Ingo Karkat wrote:
      >>> <snip>
      >>> Tony, that --delete on your rsync command on your web site is, well, a
      >>> bit aggressive. I use subversion and it was broken by that --delete
      >>> because it trashed subversion's .svn directories. :(
      >>>
      >>> Regards, John
      >> I don't know about subversion; but if you use subversion, with .svn
      >> directories _below_ the Vim runtime directory in (let's say)
      >> ~/build/vim/vim72a/runtime/ (this is in the directory tree "for building
      >> Vim" not the directory tree where Vim runs after installation, where
      >> there is no "runtime" subfolder), then why didn't you update your
      >> runtimes using subversion rather than rsync? The above works perfectly
      >> for someone like me, who gets his sources and patches by ftp. It is
      >> supposed to make the .../vim72a/runtime folder and everything below it
      >> an exact copy of Bram's master runtime files (with the exception of
      >> runtime/dos/). If I need to avoid trashing some particular files (maybe
      >> because they were just patched -- runtimes are rarely included in the
      >> official patches, but sometimes they are -- and the new version hasn't
      >> made it to the rsync repository), then I save a copy somewhere above
      >> that runtime folder, and restore it afterwards.
      >>
      >> Best regards,
      >> Tony.
      >
      > Tony, the Subversion repository does not contain the latest runtime files, only
      > the version from that branch's original release (as runtime files usually aren't
      > patched).
      > Though I didn't trash my Subversion folder, I hate the extra work to get the
      > latest runtime (via rsync). Worse, after 'svn revert', the original runtime gets
      > restored, but with updated timestamps, so the next 'rsync --update' won't update
      > any of them. Why isn't there one cron job on the Subversion server that
      > regularly rsync's the latest runtime into the repository?
      >
      > -- regards, ingo

      You'll have to ask that from the Subversion repository maintainer. My
      guess (but it's only a guess) is that he keeps the Subversion repository
      in sync with the CVS repository (maybe via cron-weekly or some such) and
      that Bram only commits to CVS the files which are the object of an
      official patch; other runtime updates he uploads (I think) only to where
      ftp and rsync can get at them.

      There is a natural hootchy-kootchy to a goldfish.
      -- Walt Disney