Request For Feedback: "timeout per-mapping" wish, like :nnoremap lhs rhs

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      I'd lile to hear people feedback about "timeout per-mapping" wish, like:

                :noremap <timeout=200>XYZ ......

      I have certain mappings for which wish to define
      smaller timeout that my usual keyboard timeout.
      Does anybody have feedback ?

      Yakov

    • Yakov Lerner

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
          On 06/06/08 20:52, Yakov Lerner wrote:
          > I'd lile to hear people feedback about "timeout per-mapping" wish, like:
          >
          > :noremap<timeout=200>XYZ ......
          >
          > I have certain mappings for which wish to define
          > smaller timeout that my usual keyboard timeout.
          > Does anybody have feedback ?
          >
          > Yakov

          not me, and I had already seen your post the first time.

          No committee could ever come up with anything as revolutionary as a
          camel -- anything as practical and as perfectly designed to perform
          effectively under such difficult conditions.
          -- Laurence J. Peter

        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
            On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

            On 06/06/08 20:52, Yakov Lerner wrote:
            > I'd lile to hear people feedback about "timeout per-mapping" wish, like:
            >
            >            :noremap<timeout=200>XYZ ......
            >
            > I have certain mappings for which wish to define
            > smaller timeout that my usual keyboard timeout.
            > Does anybody have feedback ?
            >
            > Yakov

            not me, and I had already seen your post the first time.

            I got mailer bounce to the 1st message that it was rejected.
            Strange that you saw it given the bounce.

            Yakov

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2008
              Yakov Lerner wrote:

              > I'd lile to hear people feedback about "timeout per-mapping" wish, like:
              >
              > :noremap <timeout=200>XYZ ......
              >
              > I have certain mappings for which wish to define
              > smaller timeout that my usual keyboard timeout.
              > Does anybody have feedback ?

              This would be very difficult to implement. A simpler thing would be to
              define a timeout for mappings starting with a certain character. But I
              doubt that's useful.

              6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.

            • Andy Wokula
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 13, 2008
                Bram Moolenaar schrieb:

                > Yakov Lerner wrote:
                >
                >> I'd lile to hear people feedback about "timeout per-mapping" wish, like:
                >>
                >> :noremap <timeout=200>XYZ ......
                >>
                >> I have certain mappings for which wish to define
                >> smaller timeout that my usual keyboard timeout.
                >> Does anybody have feedback ?

                Would be helpful if you posted the mappings ...

                > This would be very difficult to implement. A simpler thing would be to
                > define a timeout for mappings starting with a certain character.

                For example, users of
                :imap jj <Esc>
                may find this useful:

                imap j <sid>Stm<sid>_
                imap <sid>_j <sid>Ntm<Esc>

                " set Short 'timeoutlen':
                ino <silent> <sid>Stm <c-r>=<sid>set_tm(300)<cr>
                " set Normal 'timeoutlen':
                ino <silent> <sid>Ntm <c-r>=<sid>set_tm(3000)<cr>

                func! <sid>set_tm(tm)
                let &timeoutlen = a:tm
                return ""
                endfunc

                Now, "jj" has to be typed within 300 ms, else "jj" will be inserted
                literally. Works also for Vim6.

                --
                Andy