Re: mch_expand_wildcards() fails with Solaris /usr/bin/ksh

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3 1:53 PM
      Gary Johnson wrote:

      > On 2008-05-08, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > The Problem:
      > >
      > > The basic problem is that "echo -n" is not portable. This is
      > > mentioned in the echo(1) man page on SunOS and has been discussed
      > > numerous times on comp.unix.shell. In particular, the echo commands
      > > in sh and ksh on HP-UX and Solaris do not have a -n option.
      > > Consequently, the sh_vimglob_func fails on those shells and systems.
      > >
      > > The Proposed Solution:
      > >
      > > I don't know the history or rationale behind the current
      > > implementation of sh_vimglob_func, but it seems odd that the first
      > > echo is given the -n option to suppress the final newline, then a
      > > second echo is used to create a newline in the same place. The
      > > solution, therefore, seems to be to eliminate the -n option to the
      > > first echo command and eliminate the second echo command completely.
      > > The resulting initial value of sh_vimglob_func is
      > >
      > > vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo "$1"; shift; done }; vimglob >
      > >
      > > This fixes the problem on SunOS with sh and ksh and would seem to
      > > improve portability. It does not fix the problem on SunOS with csh,
      > > but I think that problem has a different cause.
      > >
      > > I have made this change to vim 7.1.297 on Cygwin, Linux and SunOS
      > > and have so far not observed any adverse effects. The patch is
      > > included below.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Gary
      > >
      > > -------------------------- os_unix.c.diff --------------------------
      > > *** os_unix.c.orig Wed May 7 17:17:29 2008
      > > --- os_unix.c Thu May 8 14:15:01 2008
      > > ***************
      > > *** 5152,5158 ****
      > > static int did_find_nul = FALSE;
      > > int ampersent = FALSE;
      > > /* vimglob() function to define for Posix shell */
      > > ! static char *sh_vimglob_func = "vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo -n \"$1\"; echo; shift; done }; vimglob >";
      > >
      > > *num_file = 0; /* default: no files found */
      > > *file = NULL;
      > > --- 5152,5158 ----
      > > static int did_find_nul = FALSE;
      > > int ampersent = FALSE;
      > > /* vimglob() function to define for Posix shell */
      > > ! static char *sh_vimglob_func = "vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo \"$1\"; shift; done }; vimglob >";
      > >
      > > *num_file = 0; /* default: no files found */
      > > *file = NULL;
      > >

      > Bram,
      >
      > What's the status of this proposal? Is the official patch coming or
      > do you have reservations?

      It's in the todo list. We have had problems in this area before, so I
      need to look into it. It does make a lot of sense.

      --
      Engineers will go without food and hygiene for days to solve a problem.
      (Other times just because they forgot.)

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3 1:57 PM
        On 2008-06-03, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        > Gary Johnson wrote:
        >
        > > On 2008-05-08, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > [...]
        > >
        > > > The Problem:
        > > >
        > > > The basic problem is that "echo -n" is not portable. This is
        > > > mentioned in the echo(1) man page on SunOS and has been discussed
        > > > numerous times on comp.unix.shell. In particular, the echo commands
        > > > in sh and ksh on HP-UX and Solaris do not have a -n option.
        > > > Consequently, the sh_vimglob_func fails on those shells and systems.
        > > >
        > > > The Proposed Solution:
        > > >
        > > > I don't know the history or rationale behind the current
        > > > implementation of sh_vimglob_func, but it seems odd that the first
        > > > echo is given the -n option to suppress the final newline, then a
        > > > second echo is used to create a newline in the same place. The
        > > > solution, therefore, seems to be to eliminate the -n option to the
        > > > first echo command and eliminate the second echo command completely.
        > > > The resulting initial value of sh_vimglob_func is
        > > >
        > > > vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo "$1"; shift; done }; vimglob >
        > > >
        > > > This fixes the problem on SunOS with sh and ksh and would seem to
        > > > improve portability. It does not fix the problem on SunOS with csh,
        > > > but I think that problem has a different cause.
        > > >
        > > > I have made this change to vim 7.1.297 on Cygwin, Linux and SunOS
        > > > and have so far not observed any adverse effects. The patch is
        > > > included below.
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > Gary
        > > >
        > > > -------------------------- os_unix.c.diff --------------------------
        > > > *** os_unix.c.orig Wed May 7 17:17:29 2008
        > > > --- os_unix.c Thu May 8 14:15:01 2008
        > > > ***************
        > > > *** 5152,5158 ****
        > > > static int did_find_nul = FALSE;
        > > > int ampersent = FALSE;
        > > > /* vimglob() function to define for Posix shell */
        > > > ! static char *sh_vimglob_func = "vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo -n \"$1\"; echo; shift; done }; vimglob >";
        > > >
        > > > *num_file = 0; /* default: no files found */
        > > > *file = NULL;
        > > > --- 5152,5158 ----
        > > > static int did_find_nul = FALSE;
        > > > int ampersent = FALSE;
        > > > /* vimglob() function to define for Posix shell */
        > > > ! static char *sh_vimglob_func = "vimglob() { while [ $# -ge 1 ]; do echo \"$1\"; shift; done }; vimglob >";
        > > >
        > > > *num_file = 0; /* default: no files found */
        > > > *file = NULL;
        > > >

        > > Bram,
        > >
        > > What's the status of this proposal? Is the official patch coming or
        > > do you have reservations?
        >
        > It's in the todo list. We have had problems in this area before, so I
        > need to look into it. It does make a lot of sense.

        Thanks very much. I understand your caution. I just wanted to be
        sure that it hadn't fallen through the cracks.

        Regards,
        Gary