Re: Odd cursor repositioning upon clientserver request

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
      On 03/06/08 07:24, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      > Ben Schmidt wrote:
      >> Hi, Björn,
      >>
      >> I've found a few bugs. Here's one:
      >>
      >> Start a MacVim instance, then run this in a bash shell in Terminal.app or such:
      >>
      >> while true ; do mvim --remote-expr mode\(\) ; sleep 2 ; done
      >>
      >> Modify it to reference the correct MacVim instance if necessary using --servername
      >> (find it with :echo v:servername). You can enjoy the output scrolling past as you
      >> use that MacVim window, but that is irrelevant. This is the oddity: if you enter
      >> command-line mode (press ':'), when the remote request is processed, the cursor
      >> moves out of the command-line and into the buffer (where it was before entering
      >> command-line mode). Further typing moves it back into the command-line, so it is
      >> still really there, but something in how MacVim handles remote requests must be
      >> moving it when it shouldn't.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Ben.
      >
      > Actually, this isn't MacVim specific as it happens in the GTK GUI, too (change
      > mvim to gvim in the above). Let's see if the vim_dev guys have some ideas/a fix or
      > whether Bram can add it to the todo!
      >
      > Ben.

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 29 2008 23:03:50)
      Included patches: 1-305
      Modified by Bram Moolenaar (floating point)
      Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
      Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      [...]

      Hmm... when typing an ex-command, the client displays "c" as the value
      of mode() in the server, the typed command appears where it should,
      etc., but the cursor jumps to the active editing window whenever a
      --remote-send command is evaluated. Typing the next character of the
      ex-command brings the cursor back where it belongs. This seems like a
      cosmetic question to me -- and of course it can only happen when a
      single instance of Vim is used both as a keyboard-driven editor and as a
      server for the --clientserver facility at the same time.

      This is on Linux; both server and client were started from a KDE konsole
      terminal in a manner quite similar to the above:

      gvim --servername gvim
      while true; do vim --servername gvim --remote-send mode\(\); sleep 2; done;

      Let's just say that where a change was required, I adjusted. In every
      relationship that exists, people have to seek a way to survive. If you
      really care about the person, you do what's necessary, or that's the
      end. For the first time, I found that I really could change, and the
      qualities I most admired in myself I gave up. I stopped being loud and
      bossy ... Oh, all right. I was still loud and bossy, but only behind
      his back."
      -- Kate Hepburn, on Tracy and Hepburn