Odd cursor repositioning upon clientserver request

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
      Ben Schmidt wrote:
      > Hi, Björn,
      >
      > I've found a few bugs. Here's one:
      >
      > Start a MacVim instance, then run this in a bash shell in Terminal.app or such:
      >
      > while true ; do mvim --remote-expr mode\(\) ; sleep 2 ; done
      >
      > Modify it to reference the correct MacVim instance if necessary using --servername
      > (find it with :echo v:servername). You can enjoy the output scrolling past as you
      > use that MacVim window, but that is irrelevant. This is the oddity: if you enter
      > command-line mode (press ':'), when the remote request is processed, the cursor
      > moves out of the command-line and into the buffer (where it was before entering
      > command-line mode). Further typing moves it back into the command-line, so it is
      > still really there, but something in how MacVim handles remote requests must be
      > moving it when it shouldn't.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Ben.

      Actually, this isn't MacVim specific as it happens in the GTK GUI, too (change
      mvim to gvim in the above). Let's see if the vim_dev guys have some ideas/a fix or
      whether Bram can add it to the todo!

      Ben.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
        On 03/06/08 07:24, Ben Schmidt wrote:
        > Ben Schmidt wrote:
        >> Hi, Björn,
        >>
        >> I've found a few bugs. Here's one:
        >>
        >> Start a MacVim instance, then run this in a bash shell in Terminal.app or such:
        >>
        >> while true ; do mvim --remote-expr mode\(\) ; sleep 2 ; done
        >>
        >> Modify it to reference the correct MacVim instance if necessary using --servername
        >> (find it with :echo v:servername). You can enjoy the output scrolling past as you
        >> use that MacVim window, but that is irrelevant. This is the oddity: if you enter
        >> command-line mode (press ':'), when the remote request is processed, the cursor
        >> moves out of the command-line and into the buffer (where it was before entering
        >> command-line mode). Further typing moves it back into the command-line, so it is
        >> still really there, but something in how MacVim handles remote requests must be
        >> moving it when it shouldn't.
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >>
        >> Ben.
        >
        > Actually, this isn't MacVim specific as it happens in the GTK GUI, too (change
        > mvim to gvim in the above). Let's see if the vim_dev guys have some ideas/a fix or
        > whether Bram can add it to the todo!
        >
        > Ben.

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 29 2008 23:03:50)
        Included patches: 1-305
        Modified by Bram Moolenaar (floating point)
        Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
        Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        [...]

        Hmm... when typing an ex-command, the client displays "c" as the value
        of mode() in the server, the typed command appears where it should,
        etc., but the cursor jumps to the active editing window whenever a
        --remote-send command is evaluated. Typing the next character of the
        ex-command brings the cursor back where it belongs. This seems like a
        cosmetic question to me -- and of course it can only happen when a
        single instance of Vim is used both as a keyboard-driven editor and as a
        server for the --clientserver facility at the same time.

        This is on Linux; both server and client were started from a KDE konsole
        terminal in a manner quite similar to the above:

        gvim --servername gvim
        while true; do vim --servername gvim --remote-send mode\(\); sleep 2; done;

        Let's just say that where a change was required, I adjusted. In every
        relationship that exists, people have to seek a way to survive. If you
        really care about the person, you do what's necessary, or that's the
        end. For the first time, I found that I really could change, and the
        qualities I most admired in myself I gave up. I stopped being loud and
        bossy ... Oh, all right. I was still loud and bossy, but only behind
        his back."
        -- Kate Hepburn, on Tracy and Hepburn