Re: '0#' should not be in 'cinkeys'

  • Ian Kelling
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28, 2008
      I believe there is a bit of misunderstanding on this issue that I can
      clear up. The posters is right but the solution is the wrong one.
      There are 2 behaviours that happen to both be turned off and on with
      the same option, but one of them is incorrect behaviour, aka a bug,
      and the other is a formatting behaviour which is defined by convention
      and is correct. The correct solution is to remove the bug from vim
      entirely, not to change the default options.

      To rehash it and state this specifically:
      The not acting on > command for lines starting with # is to prevent
      errors as stated in the help file and is incorrect as the poster
      stated. An alteration to the cinkeys option happens to turn this off,
      but it also turns off automatically putting # statements in the 1st
      column which is a desired formatting convention. The solution is to
      remove the > behaviour because it is a bug/anachronism. Vim already
      acts exactly like this for a label: statement with C indenting on.
      Verify it yourself or see in the help file indent.txt :

      Vim puts a line in column 1 if:
      - It starts with '#' (preprocessor directives), if 'cinkeys' contains
      '#'.
      - It starts with a label (a keyword followed by ':', other than "case"
      and
      "default").

      I am the GSOC student working on bugs this summer. If its agreed this
      is a bug I will be happy to fix it.