How to start for newbie

  • Guang Yang
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2008
      I want to start read vim source code from regular expression, but I found it really hard for a newbie. Do you have any suggestion about how to start? I think it is better we make this post a guideline for all the people who want to contribute this gread project.

    • Andrei Aiordachioaie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
        Hello,

        I have recently started to work on the regular expression code ... In
        short, last summer two students have implemented a new version of the
        regular expression engine. However, it is not yet included in the main
        source code of Vim. As part of Google Summer of Code, my project deals
        with including the new version of the regexp engine into vim, testing
        it and making sure it does not break anything.

        If you're still interested, I have a couple of notes on the
        implementation of regexps at http://code.google.com/p/vim-soc2008-regexp/wiki/Regexp_Interface_Both_Engines
        . You are more than welcome to also browse through the sources in the
        project (just go to the "Source" tab).

        Also, a very good article about regular expressions and their
        efficient implementation is by Russ Cox, at http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html
        . I really recommend reading this article, it is very clear and
        concise. It describes the non-deterministic finite automata (NFA)
        method of dealing with regexps.

        Cheers,
        Andrei