Vim7.1 Solaris 8 Compile Fix

  • craig.j.perry@jpmchase.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2008

      Hey Guys,

      When building Vim7.1 source tarball fresh from vim.org last night, on Solaris 8 with gcc[1] i encountered unresolved symbols for "nanosleep" which is in -lrt, and "setenv" (os_unix.c) which solaris doesn't have :-(

      I fixed the missing -lrt by adding an EXTRA_LIBS = -lrt in the Makefile. Lib rt doesn't seem to be pulled in by any of the specific solaris customisations in Makefile already.

      Incidently the os_unix.c entries are wrapped in CPP #ifdef HAVE_SETENV -- guessing this is being defined wrongly by configure for me. Easy fix -- i see there's already a "vim_setenv" so i just used that instead -- it does away with the need to ifdef HAVE_SETENV too.

      Apologies for no .diff attached, hope this helps all the same,

      -c

      [1] $ gcc -v
      Reading specs from /apps/gcc/3.3.2/solaris/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.3.2/specs
      Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --disable-nls
      Thread model: posix
      gcc version 3.3.2

      Craig J Perry

      Pyramid Production Team

      J.P. Morgan Securities Ltd. Registered in England & Wales No. 2711006. Registered Office 125 London Wall, London, EC2Y 5AJ. JPMorgan Chase Bank, National Association. Organised under the laws of USA with limited liability. Main Office: 1111 Polaris Parkway, Columbus, Ohio 43240 USA. Registered as a branch in England & Wales branch No. BR000746. Registered Branch Office 125 London Wall, London EC2Y 5AJ. J.P. Morgan plc. Registered in England & Wales No. 248609. Registered Office 125 London Wall, London EC2Y 5AJ. J.P. Morgan Europe Limited. Registered in England & Wales No. 938937. Registered Office 125 London Wall, London EC2Y 5AJ. All authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

      This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2008
        Craig J Perry wrote:

        > When building Vim7.1 source tarball fresh from vim.org last night, on
        > Solaris 8 with gcc[1] i encountered unresolved symbols for "nanosleep"
        > which is in -lrt, and "setenv" (os_unix.c) which solaris doesn't have :-(
        >
        > I fixed the missing -lrt by adding an EXTRA_LIBS = -lrt in the Makefile.
        > Lib rt doesn't seem to be pulled in by any of the specific solaris
        > customisations in Makefile already.
        >
        > Incidently the os_unix.c entries are wrapped in CPP #ifdef HAVE_SETENV --
        > guessing this is being defined wrongly by configure for me. Easy fix -- i
        > see there's already a "vim_setenv" so i just used that instead -- it does
        > away with the need to ifdef HAVE_SETENV too.
        >
        > Apologies for no .diff attached, hope this helps all the same,

        The configure script checks for the nanosleep function. Did you build
        on two different systems without "make distclean" in between? Check the
        src/auto/config.log file to find out why configure thought that you do
        have nanosleep.

        [long footer deleted]

        Can you somehow get rid of this useless text?

        --
        ROBIN: The what?
        ARTHUR: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 'Tis one of the sacred relics