inconsistency in tutor

  • sc
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2008
      list:

      i was looking through the tutor and came across what to me
      appears to be an inconsistency of the type that could be
      quite confounding to a newcomer reading it for the first
      time

      i had executed the 'vimtutor' command, as recommended, and
      was therefore using a tutor module on /tmp with a funny name

      i read the instructions in Lesson 1.6, lines 147-151 (and
      the rest of the lesson, of course)

      1. Exit this tutor as you did in lesson 1.2: :q!

      2. At the shell prompt type this command: vim tutor <ENTER>
      'vim' is the command to start the Vim editor, 'tutor'
      is the name of the file you wish to edit. Use a file
      that may be changed.

      when i quit the session the /tmp module ceased to exist

      when i followed the instruction to execute 'vim tutor' at
      the shell prompt, i created a new, empty module named
      'tutor' on my home path, with no clue where to read the file
      from

      we can only hope they will think to quit and execute
      'vimtutor' from the shell prompt as they did in the first
      place

      we can also hope we don't inspire an early distrust of an
      editor that leads you into a blind alley when you try your
      darndest to follow the first instructions they give you

      sc