Re: [Patch] Nicer notebook tabs with GTK2

  • Antony Scriven
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2008
      2008/5/6 Antony Scriven <adscriven@...>:

      > [... about icons for filetypes in GUI tabs ...]
      > But... Vim can detect ~500 different filetypes. Who's
      > coming up with 500 distinct and easily recognizable
      > icons? --Antony

      Btw, I didn't mean for that to sound negative. I'd be happy
      if you could come up with a good solution for that. --Antony

    • Fran├žois Ingelrest
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2008
        On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Antony Scriven <adscriven@...> wrote:
        > Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
        > > > the GUI version and that's the way GUIs generally look
        > > > like. The same goes for icons in notebook tabs: Almost
        > > > all the GUI applications I can think of display such an
        > > > icon although the label would be sufficient. It's just
        > > > a bit nicer to look at.
        > >
        > > FWIW, I think this is a nice change. If I edit more than,
        > > say, 5 files, I can't use a tab for each file anyways.
        > > For just two to three tabs, the icons give the tabs
        > > a much nicer look (at least on GTK, where most tabs
        > > include file icons. In OS X, tabs usually don't have file
        > > icons, so I wouldn't want it in the OS X version).
        >
        > More than just looking nicer, I think it can be a usability
        > improvement, e.g. Firefox displays the shortcut icon in its
        > tabs; I find this makes finding a tab easier. But... Vim can
        > detect ~500 different filetypes. Who's coming up with 500
        > distinct and easily recognizable icons? --Antony

        GTK actually uses the system icons defined by the user's theme, i.e.,
        you provide it the mime type and it provides you the icon associated
        to that mime type in the current user's theme. Those icons are the
        ones that are used for instance in Nautilus. Almost the same goes for
        the toolbar: AFAIK, icons are taken from the user's theme and are
        directly provided by GTK.