Re: Idea of new feature : next Vim

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 3:44 PM
      On 03/05/08 10:56, epanda wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I use vertical split to open several files by tab.
      >
      > I prefer split as tab because we can switch faster from file1 to
      > fileN.
      >

      > file1 | file2 | file3
      > |

      > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      >

      > but sometime I want to work only with file1 and file3.
      >
      > If it is possible I would like to be able to stick the two separated
      > lines in ordre to lock file2 like that :
      >

      > file2
      > file1 || file3
      > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      >

      > Best Regards
      > Epanda

      Well, you can squeeze a window vertically; but for it to be "easy" you
      should first do

      :set winminwidth=0 winwidth=0

      then (if your version of Vim can recognise your mouse) you can drag the
      left and right margins of that window next to each other; but the
      statusline of that window (which is at the bottom, not at the top) won't
      be wider than that; so here's (approximately) what you'll see:

      V brownfox.txt (~) - GVIM _OX
      |Mary had a little lamb, ||The quick brown fox jumped over the l|
      |Its fleece was white as snow;||azy dog. The quick brown fox jumped o|
      |And everywhere that Mary went||ver the lazy dog. The quick brown fox|
      |, || jumped over the lazy dog. The quick |
      |The lamb was sure to go. ||brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. |
      |litllamb.txt 4,23 [All]||brownfox.txt 1,295 [All]|
      |-- INSERT -- |

      with a third (well, second) window squeezed in the middle.

      (Note: I prefer splitting horizontally rather than, as here, vertically
      but that's just my choice.)

      "We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."