Re: [Patch] Nicer notebook tabs with GTK2

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2008
      > I would not say it's useless in the sense that icons make notebook
      > tabs a bit nicer to look at. I actually never liked notebook tabs in
      > GVim because they are too narrow and that makes difficult to spot the
      > one I need (the main reason I wrote this small patch). Also, in this
      > perspective, the toolbar is useless as it takes too much space for
      > commands that can already easily be typed. But it's there because it's
      > the GUI version and that's the way GUIs generally look like. The same
      > goes for icons in notebook tabs: Almost all the GUI applications I can
      > think of display such an icon although the label would be sufficient.
      > It's just a bit nicer to look at.

      FWIW, I think this is a nice change. If I edit more than, say, 5
      files, I can't use a tab for each file anyways. For just two to three
      tabs, the icons give the tabs a much nicer look (at least on GTK,
      where most tabs include file icons. In OS X, tabs usually don't have
      file icons, so I wouldn't want it in the OS X version).

      Nico

    • Antony Scriven
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2008
        Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

        > > [...]
        >
        > > the GUI version and that's the way GUIs generally look
        > > like. The same goes for icons in notebook tabs: Almost
        > > all the GUI applications I can think of display such an
        > > icon although the label would be sufficient. It's just
        > > a bit nicer to look at.
        >
        > FWIW, I think this is a nice change. If I edit more than,
        > say, 5 files, I can't use a tab for each file anyways.
        > For just two to three tabs, the icons give the tabs
        > a much nicer look (at least on GTK, where most tabs
        > include file icons. In OS X, tabs usually don't have file
        > icons, so I wouldn't want it in the OS X version).

        More than just looking nicer, I think it can be a usability
        improvement, e.g. Firefox displays the shortcut icon in its
        tabs; I find this makes finding a tab easier. But... Vim can
        detect ~500 different filetypes. Who's coming up with 500
        distinct and easily recognizable icons? --Antony

      • Antony Scriven
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2008
          2008/5/6 Antony Scriven <adscriven@...>:

          > [... about icons for filetypes in GUI tabs ...]
          > But... Vim can detect ~500 different filetypes. Who's
          > coming up with 500 distinct and easily recognizable
          > icons? --Antony

          Btw, I didn't mean for that to sound negative. I'd be happy
          if you could come up with a good solution for that. --Antony

        • Fran├žois Ingelrest
          Message 4 of 12 , May 6, 2008
            On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Antony Scriven <adscriven@...> wrote:
            > Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
            > > > the GUI version and that's the way GUIs generally look
            > > > like. The same goes for icons in notebook tabs: Almost
            > > > all the GUI applications I can think of display such an
            > > > icon although the label would be sufficient. It's just
            > > > a bit nicer to look at.
            > >
            > > FWIW, I think this is a nice change. If I edit more than,
            > > say, 5 files, I can't use a tab for each file anyways.
            > > For just two to three tabs, the icons give the tabs
            > > a much nicer look (at least on GTK, where most tabs
            > > include file icons. In OS X, tabs usually don't have file
            > > icons, so I wouldn't want it in the OS X version).
            >
            > More than just looking nicer, I think it can be a usability
            > improvement, e.g. Firefox displays the shortcut icon in its
            > tabs; I find this makes finding a tab easier. But... Vim can
            > detect ~500 different filetypes. Who's coming up with 500
            > distinct and easily recognizable icons? --Antony

            GTK actually uses the system icons defined by the user's theme, i.e.,
            you provide it the mime type and it provides you the icon associated
            to that mime type in the current user's theme. Those icons are the
            ones that are used for instance in Nautilus. Almost the same goes for
            the toolbar: AFAIK, icons are taken from the user's theme and are
            directly provided by GTK.