Idea of new feature : next Vim

  • epanda
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 1:56 AM
      Hi,

      I use vertical split to open several files by tab.

      I prefer split as tab because we can switch faster from file1 to
      fileN.

      file1 | file2 | file3

      blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala

      but sometime I want to work only with file1 and file3.

      If it is possible I would like to be able to stick the two separated
      lines in ordre to lock file2 like that :

      file2
      file1 || file3
      blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
      blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala

      Best Regards
      Epanda
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 3:44 PM
        On 03/05/08 10:56, epanda wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I use vertical split to open several files by tab.
        >
        > I prefer split as tab because we can switch faster from file1 to
        > fileN.
        >

        > file1 | file2 | file3
        > |

        > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala | blablalalalala | lalalablablalalalala lalala
        >

        > but sometime I want to work only with file1 and file3.
        >
        > If it is possible I would like to be able to stick the two separated
        > lines in ordre to lock file2 like that :
        >

        > file2
        > file1 || file3
        > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
        > blablalalalala ala || lalalablablalalalala lalala
        >

        > Best Regards
        > Epanda

        Well, you can squeeze a window vertically; but for it to be "easy" you
        should first do

        :set winminwidth=0 winwidth=0

        then (if your version of Vim can recognise your mouse) you can drag the
        left and right margins of that window next to each other; but the
        statusline of that window (which is at the bottom, not at the top) won't
        be wider than that; so here's (approximately) what you'll see:

        V brownfox.txt (~) - GVIM _OX
        |Mary had a little lamb, ||The quick brown fox jumped over the l|
        |Its fleece was white as snow;||azy dog. The quick brown fox jumped o|
        |And everywhere that Mary went||ver the lazy dog. The quick brown fox|
        |, || jumped over the lazy dog. The quick |
        |The lamb was sure to go. ||brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. |
        |litllamb.txt 4,23 [All]||brownfox.txt 1,295 [All]|
        |-- INSERT -- |

        with a third (well, second) window squeezed in the middle.

        (Note: I prefer splitting horizontally rather than, as here, vertically
        but that's just my choice.)

        "We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."