Re: RFC: Gatekeeper - control which plugins are loaded

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2008
      Meikel Brandmeyer wrote:

      > Hello Vim developers,
      >
      > some days ago, there was a short discussion on #vim, that one cannot
      > easily prevent plugins from loading. A distribution could install some
      > scripts/plugins in the system-wide vimfiles directory, but the user
      > could not defend against such a "pollution". Each plugin uses a
      > different guard, so it's tedious to find out which one keeps a script
      > from loading.

      This sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed in the distribution.
      Adding more features or a workaround is just making it more complicated.
      If a system has a plugin that several people don't want, then it should
      not be in a system directory.

      If people are worried about duplicating plugins: These files are small,
      this really should not be an issue. When it's needed to centralize
      versioning it's simple to make a symbolic link or a one-line file with
      "source $VIMRUNTIME/optional_plugins/pluginname.vim".

      The whole idea of plugins is that they are a simple "drop in a
      directory" kind of thing. And that's how it should be for most people.
      Avoiding a plugin means deleting it. That's all for 95% of the Vim
      users.

      There can be some special situations, such as having a newer version of
      a plugin or two plugins that conflict somehow. But that is rare and
      should not be solved by a general mechanism. The common way is to set a
      global variable that indicates a plugin should not be loaded. I have
      yet to see a good reason why that can't be used.

      --
      WOMAN: King of the who?
      ARTHUR: The Britons.