Re: How to create Binary packages.

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2008
      On 28/04/08 11:52, Gnanasekaran-A C wrote:

      > Hello
      > I would like to know, how to create binary packages (.exe files) from
      > compiled source packages for vim application in netBSD.
      >
      > Thanks & Regards,
      > Gnanasekaran.C

      How to create binary packages depends on the system on which you want
      them to run, much more than on which software you want to include in
      them, so you might get a better answer by asking on a netBSD group
      rather than on a Vim group.

      However, AFAIK *.exe files are for Dos/Windows only, they won't run on
      BSD vhich is a Unix-like system.

      [Another hideous roar.]
      BEDEVERE: That's it!
      ARTHUR: What?
      BEDEVERE: It's The Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!
      PICTURES LTD

    • gnani
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2008
        Actually when I download vim prebuilt binary packages…it gives the
        following files
        For Ex: VIM
        total 32
        1. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 8 Jan 5 2007
        +SIZE_PKG
        2. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 9 Jan 5 2007
        +SIZE_ALL
        3. -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin wheel 4932 Jan 5 2007
        +INSTALL*
        4. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 502 Jan 5 2007 +DESC
        5. -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin wheel 4121 Jan 5 2007
        +DEINSTALL*
        6. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 34 Jan 5 2007
        +COMMENT
        7. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 705 Jan 5 2007
        +BUILD_VERSION
        8. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 823 Jan 5 2007
        +BUILD_INFO
        9. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 80 Aug 1 2007
        +ALTERNATIVES
        10. -rw-r--r-- 1 admin wheel 673 Aug 1 2007 +CONTENTS
        From the above dirs,I could create a package using the following…….
        pkg_create -f +CONTENTS -c +COMMENT -d +DESC -b +BUILD_VERSION -B
        +BUILD_INFO -f +INSTALL vim-7.0.178.tgz
        But from the compiled source code, I don’t know how to create package.
        Can you help me
        Regards
        Gnani

        On Apr 28, 4:37 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > On 28/04/08 11:52, Gnanasekaran-A C wrote:
        >

        > > Hello
        > > I would like to know, how to create binary packages (.exe files) from
        > > compiled source packages for vim application in netBSD.
        >
        > > Thanks & Regards,
        > > Gnanasekaran.C
        >
        > How to create binary packages depends on the system on which you want
        > them to run, much more than on which software you want to include in
        > them, so you might get a better answer by asking on a netBSD group
        > rather than on a Vim group.
        >
        > However, AFAIK *.exe files are for Dos/Windows only, they won't run on
        > BSD vhich is a Unix-like system.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        >     [Another hideous roar.]
        > BEDEVERE: That's it!
        > ARTHUR:   What?
        > BEDEVERE: It's The Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!
        >                   "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)
        > PICTURES LTD
      • François Ingelrest
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2008
          On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM, gnani <cgsekaran@...> wrote:
          > But from the compiled source code, I don't know how to create package.
          > Can you help me

          As Tony said, it's related to how to package something for netBSD, not
          to Vim specifically.