omnicpp very slow under windows XP

  • epanda
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 11:32 PM
      Hi,

      I have done two tests and I have two bugreports.txt but I don't know
      how to search the difference which make that omnicpp is very slow
      under windows and fast under virtual Linux CentOS.

      configuration Windows XP or Linux CentOS :
      > the same project (same cpp same headers)
      > same vimfiles
      > same _vimrc .vimrc
      > more than that, I used the same database tags the copy of the one made under windows into linux

      linux : 0.25 after the CTRL+X CTRL+O
      windows : > 1 or 2 min after the CTRL+X CTRL+O

      I don't how to attach my two bugreports, if somoene can help it will
      be nice.

      Thanks
      Best Regards
      Epanda

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24 3:07 AM
        epanda wrote:
        > I have done two tests and I have two bugreports.txt but I
        > don't know how to search the difference which make that
        > omnicpp is very slow under windows and fast under virtual
        > Linux CentOS.

        I believe the idea was that you would compare the two files to try and find any
        differences in the configuration of Vim on the two systems. There should not be any
        significant speed difference, so you are looking for some config setting that might
        be responsible. For example, if one system loaded a particular plugin and the other
        didn't, you would be suspicious of that plugin (and might close Vim, move the plugin
        file somewhere, then retest). Use vimdiff to compare the files.

        I can't see how it would apply to your situation, but a common cause of stupidly
        slow responses on Windows is some sort of timeout waiting for network activity. On
        the Windows machine, at command prompt (cmd.exe), you might enter the command 'net
        use' to see if there are any network connections. The ultimate test for network
        problems would be to capture traffic with Wireshark or Network Monitor and see if
        anything happens when you do your test.

        John

      • epanda
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27 11:52 PM
          Thanks John,

          I don't think it is the network because the problem "CTRL+X CTRL+O
          very slow" happens at my office and at my home PC.

          At the office, there is a local network, at my home I am on internet.

          Concerning the plugin file I will try to locate it with a vimdiff.

          Thanks
          Best Regards

          On 24 avr, 12:07, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
          > epanda wrote:
          > > I have done two tests and I have two bugreports.txt but I
          > > don't know how to search the difference which make that
          > > omnicpp is very slow under windows and fast under virtual
          > > Linux CentOS.
          >
          > I believe the idea was that you would compare the two files to try and find any
          > differences in the configuration of Vim on the two systems. There should not be any
          > significant speed difference, so you are looking for some config setting that might
          > be responsible. For example, if one system loaded a particular plugin and the other
          > didn't, you would be suspicious of that plugin (and might close Vim, move the plugin
          > file somewhere, then retest). Use vimdiff to compare the files.
          >
          > I can't see how it would apply to your situation, but a common cause of stupidly
          > slow responses on Windows is some sort of timeout waiting for network activity. On
          > the Windows machine, at command prompt (cmd.exe), you might enter the command 'net
          > use' to see if there are any network connections. The ultimate test for network
          > problems would be to capture traffic with Wireshark or Network Monitor and see if
          > anything happens when you do your test.
          >
          > John
        • epanda
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 11:40 PM
            1-Setting the path to a recursive path cause that omnicpp is very slow
            under windows.
            ex: set path= D:\\** in your _vimrc and you will see.

            2- Omnicpp does not work when the name of an object is only one
            character.
            ex MyClass E;

            E-> does not complete.

            2 bugs in omnicpp

            Thanks
            Best Regards
            Epanda

            On 28 avr, 08:52, epanda <callingel...@...> wrote:
            > Thanks John,
            >
            > I don't think it is the network because the problem "CTRL+X CTRL+O
            > very slow" happens at my office and at my home PC.
            >
            > At the office, there is a local network, at my home I am on internet.
            >
            > Concerning the plugin file I will try to locate it with a vimdiff.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Best Regards
            >
            > On 24 avr, 12:07, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
            >
            > > epanda wrote:
            > > > I have done two tests and I have two bugreports.txt but I
            > > > don't know how to search the difference which make that
            > > > omnicpp is very slow under windows and fast under virtual
            > > > Linux CentOS.
            >
            > > I believe the idea was that you would compare the two files to try and find any
            > > differences in the configuration of Vim on the two systems. There should not be any
            > > significant speed difference, so you are looking for some config setting that might
            > > be responsible. For example, if one system loaded a particular plugin and the other
            > > didn't, you would be suspicious of that plugin (and might close Vim, move the plugin
            > > file somewhere, then retest). Use vimdiff to compare the files.
            >
            > > I can't see how it would apply to your situation, but a common cause of stupidly
            > > slow responses on Windows is some sort of timeout waiting for network activity. On
            > > the Windows machine, at command prompt (cmd.exe), you might enter the command 'net
            > > use' to see if there are any network connections. The ultimate test for network
            > > problems would be to capture traffic with Wireshark or Network Monitor and see if
            > > anything happens when you do your test.
            >
            > > John
          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 8:05 AM
              epanda wrote:
              > 1-Setting the path to a recursive path cause that omnicpp is very slow
              > under windows.
              > ex: set path= D:\\** in your _vimrc and you will see.

              I think this is related to an earlier-reported bug/problem in Vim itself in the
              thread "Vim file globbing..." on vim_use:

              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/aa9d0c6c1429d738

              I've had a look at the source code and have some pretty solid ideas about what's
              causing this and some ways to fix it, but don't have anything really quantitative
              to back up my suspicions, don't have a Windows build environment, only somewhat
              inconvenient access to Windows machines, and have another Vim patch or two to work
              on before this. But hey, I guess it's a start...so it may be fixed soon! Some time
              in June I should have time if not before.

              If anyone has or can find a HOWTO on building Vim on Win32 using free software
              tools (MinGW etc.), that might speed the process.

              > 2- Omnicpp does not work when the name of an object is only one
              > character.
              > ex MyClass E;
              >
              > E-> does not complete.
              >

              > 2 bugs in omnicpp
              >
              > Thanks
              > Best Regards
              > Epanda

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 5:50 PM
                > 1-Setting the path to a recursive path cause that omnicpp is very slow
                > under windows.
                > ex: set path= D:\\** in your _vimrc and you will see.

                I commented on this in an earlier post.

                > 2- Omnicpp does not work when the name of an object is only one
                > character.
                > ex MyClass E;
                > E-> does not complete.

                This bug is bogus. However due to a separate discussion with the OP I have figured
                out what the problem is, which is related to searching for declarations, so I'll
                add it to my to do list and try to put together a patch that the plugin author can
                incorporate at some later stage.

                Ben.

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30 6:53 PM
                  On 30/04/08 17:05, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  [...]
                  > If anyone has or can find a HOWTO on building Vim on Win32 using free software
                  > tools (MinGW etc.), that might speed the process.
                  [...]

                  using Borland or Cygwin (I recommend Cygwin)

                  http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

                  SIGFUN -- signature too funny (core dumped)

                • Ben Schmidt
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                    > On 30/04/08 17:05, Ben Schmidt wrote:
                    > [...]
                    >> If anyone has or can find a HOWTO on building Vim on Win32 using free software
                    >> tools (MinGW etc.), that might speed the process.
                    > [...]
                    >
                    > using Borland or Cygwin (I recommend Cygwin)
                    >
                    > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

                    Thanks, Tony. I'm sure that will help.

                    Ben.