Re: About patch 7.1.282

  • char101
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      wrote:
      > Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
      > svn patchlevel is not what you think.

      I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
      logs said that it is 7.1.291

      > Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
      > these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
      > +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
      > doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
      > 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
      > in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
      > GUI mode).

      Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
      it since a long time :D

      As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
      windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
      selected tab, i.m.o.)

      http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png

      If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
      source code since it is much harder.

      ---
      Charles
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        char101 wrote:
        > On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
        > wrote:
        >> Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
        >> svn patchlevel is not what you think.
        >
        > I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
        > logs said that it is 7.1.291
        >
        >> Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
        >> these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
        >> +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
        >> doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
        >> 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
        >> in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
        >> GUI mode).
        >
        > Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
        > it since a long time :D
        >
        > As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
        > windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
        > selected tab, i.m.o.)
        >
        > http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png
        >
        > If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
        > source code since it is much harder.
        >
        > ---
        > Charles

        Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
        it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
        Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
        Windows:

        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

        I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
        can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option but I haven't delved into
        this in detail, because I use "text-style" tabs in both Console Vim and
        gvim. Here's how they look in the console:

        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtexttabs.gif

        and here's how they look in the GUI:

        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimusertabs.gif

        using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
        tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
        other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.

        These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
        the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
        (I actually prefer it).

        If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
        colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

        You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

      • char101
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
          On Apr 3, 1:41 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
          > it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
          > Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
          > Windows:
          >
          > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

          Right, the themed tabs look much clearer since it has top line for
          selected tab. But for windows with classic theme, the selected tab
          only differs in slight vertical size compared to other tabs so I
          prefer the flat look where selected tabs has darker background.

          > I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
          > can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option

          I dont think we can set the colors becase the tabs are drawn by the OS
          instead by vim itself so all we can set is the text that will appear
          on each tab.

          > using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
          > tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
          > other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.
          >
          > These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
          > the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
          > (I actually prefer it).
          >
          > If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
          > colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

          Thank you, but I actually prefer the GUI tabs since it seems to be
          more visible :-D. I also use each tab for its own file so GUI tabs
          will be more efficient since it uses narrower font.

          Best Regards,
          Charles.