Re: About patch 7.1.282

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      char101 wrote:
      > On Apr 2, 12:04 pm, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.
      >>
      >> If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
      >> somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
      >> listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of
      >
      > Hi, here's the output now
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Apr 2 2008 11:58:14)
      > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
      > Included patches: 1-291
      > Compiled by Charles@SOLARIS
      >
      > At the end I just take those two files that failed to patch (if_ole.h
      > and make_mvc.mak) from VIM svn.

      Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
      svn patchlevel is not what you think. In your place I'd feel better with
      either all patched sources (and restart from scratch if necessary, see
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm ) or all svn
      sources. Since you have Python installed you might want to try syncing
      your sources by A-A-P.

      >> If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
      >> from
      >> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...
      >
      > Thanks but I need to compile myself since I add python support and
      > changed the tab look a little bit (flat tabs) and changed the toolbar
      > so that it can have hover effect on win32.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      > ---
      > Charles

      Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
      these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
      +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
      doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
      'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
      in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
      GUI mode).

      If it is not possible, without a custom patch, to display the same
      tooltips on the W32 toolbar as those that I get on the GTK+2 toolbar,
      I'm sure Bram would be interested in that patch. If it's just a question
      of enabling the right feature at compile-time, I believe Steve hall's
      distros (at the URL I gave you) have it.

      Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil them
      first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
      -- W. C. Fields

    • char101
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
        > svn patchlevel is not what you think.

        I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
        logs said that it is 7.1.291

        > Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
        > these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
        > +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
        > doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
        > 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
        > in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
        > GUI mode).

        Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
        it since a long time :D

        As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
        windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
        selected tab, i.m.o.)

        http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png

        If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
        source code since it is much harder.

        ---
        Charles
      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          char101 wrote:
          > On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
          >> svn patchlevel is not what you think.
          >
          > I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
          > logs said that it is 7.1.291
          >
          >> Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
          >> these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
          >> +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
          >> doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
          >> 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
          >> in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
          >> GUI mode).
          >
          > Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
          > it since a long time :D
          >
          > As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
          > windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
          > selected tab, i.m.o.)
          >
          > http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png
          >
          > If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
          > source code since it is much harder.
          >
          > ---
          > Charles

          Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
          it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
          Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
          Windows:

          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

          I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
          can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option but I haven't delved into
          this in detail, because I use "text-style" tabs in both Console Vim and
          gvim. Here's how they look in the console:

          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtexttabs.gif

          and here's how they look in the GUI:

          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimusertabs.gif

          using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
          tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
          other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.

          These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
          the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
          (I actually prefer it).

          If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
          colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

          You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

        • char101
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
            On Apr 3, 1:41 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            wrote:
            > Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
            > it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
            > Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
            > Windows:
            >
            > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

            Right, the themed tabs look much clearer since it has top line for
            selected tab. But for windows with classic theme, the selected tab
            only differs in slight vertical size compared to other tabs so I
            prefer the flat look where selected tabs has darker background.

            > I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
            > can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option

            I dont think we can set the colors becase the tabs are drawn by the OS
            instead by vim itself so all we can set is the text that will appear
            on each tab.

            > using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
            > tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
            > other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.
            >
            > These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
            > the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
            > (I actually prefer it).
            >
            > If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
            > colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

            Thank you, but I actually prefer the GUI tabs since it seems to be
            more visible :-D. I also use each tab for its own file so GUI tabs
            will be more efficient since it uses narrower font.

            Best Regards,
            Charles.