Re: About patch 7.1.282

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      char101 wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I failed when patching vim with 7.1.282
      >
      > running ..\newpatches\7.1.281
      > patching file src/if_cscope.c
      > patching file src/version.c
      > running ..\newpatches\7.1.282
      > patching file src/GvimExt/Makefile
      > patching file src/dosinst.c
      > patching file src/if_ole.cpp
      > patching file src/if_ole.h
      > Hunk #1 FAILED at 79.
      > Hunk #2 FAILED at 143.
      > Hunk #3 FAILED at 236.
      > 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/if_ole.h.rej
      > patching file src/if_ole.idl
      > patching file src/INSTALLpc.txt
      > patching file src/Make_mvc.mak
      > Hunk #3 succeeded at 334 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #4 succeeded at 348 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #5 succeeded at 359 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #6 succeeded at 380 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #7 succeeded at 398 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #8 succeeded at 411 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #9 succeeded at 431 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #10 succeeded at 541 (offset 1 line).
      > Hunk #11 FAILED at 764.
      > 1 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/
      > Make_mvc.mak.rej
      >
      > One the the failed patch is
      >
      > *** ../vim-7.1.281/src/if_ole.h Sun Jun 13 17:46:29 2004
      > --- src/if_ole.h Tue Jul 10 16:21:18 2007
      > ***************
      > *** 79,85 ****
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
      >
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      > ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;
      >
      > };
      >
      > --- 79,85 ----
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
      >
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      > ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT_PTR __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;
      >
      > };
      >
      > The contents of if_ole.h line 79,85
      >

      > EXTERN_C const IID IID_IVim;
      >
      > #if defined(__cplusplus)&& !defined(CINTERFACE)
      >
      > MIDL_INTERFACE("0F0BFAE2-4C90-11d1-82D7-0004AC368519")
      >
      > While the part that I think should be patched are in line 96-100
      >
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
      >
      > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      > /* [retval][out] */ UINT *result) = 0;
      >
      > };
      >
      > But the part to be replaced is different.
      >
      > So is there something missing between 7.1.281 and 7.1.282?
      >
      > By the way, I never changed the contents of if_ole.h myself.
      > ---
      > Charles

      Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.

      If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
      somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
      listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of

      :redir @+
      :version
      :redir END

      Then paste it into your reply, and afterwards remove everything after
      "Features included (+) or not (-):" -- I'm only interested in the top part.

      If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
      from
      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
      -- click the clipboard-like icon next to the version number to see that
      build's ":version" output before you download it.

      We've sent a man to the moon, and that's 29,000 miles away. The center
      of the Earth is only 4,000 miles away. You could drive that in a week,
      but for some reason nobody's ever done it.
      -- Andy Rooney

    • char101
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        On Apr 2, 12:04 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.
        >
        > If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
        > somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
        > listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of

        Hi, here's the output now

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Apr 2 2008 11:58:14)
        MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
        Included patches: 1-291
        Compiled by Charles@SOLARIS

        At the end I just take those two files that failed to patch (if_ole.h
        and make_mvc.mak) from VIM svn.

        > If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
        > from
        > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...

        Thanks but I need to compile myself since I add python support and
        changed the tab look a little bit (flat tabs) and changed the toolbar
        so that it can have hover effect on win32.

        Thanks for the help.
        ---
        Charles
      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          char101 wrote:
          > On Apr 2, 12:04 pm, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
          > wrote:
          >> Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.
          >>
          >> If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
          >> somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
          >> listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of
          >
          > Hi, here's the output now
          >
          > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Apr 2 2008 11:58:14)
          > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
          > Included patches: 1-291
          > Compiled by Charles@SOLARIS
          >
          > At the end I just take those two files that failed to patch (if_ole.h
          > and make_mvc.mak) from VIM svn.

          Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
          svn patchlevel is not what you think. In your place I'd feel better with
          either all patched sources (and restart from scratch if necessary, see
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm ) or all svn
          sources. Since you have Python installed you might want to try syncing
          your sources by A-A-P.

          >> If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
          >> from
          >> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...
          >
          > Thanks but I need to compile myself since I add python support and
          > changed the tab look a little bit (flat tabs) and changed the toolbar
          > so that it can have hover effect on win32.
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          > ---
          > Charles

          Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
          these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
          +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
          doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
          'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
          in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
          GUI mode).

          If it is not possible, without a custom patch, to display the same
          tooltips on the W32 toolbar as those that I get on the GTK+2 toolbar,
          I'm sure Bram would be interested in that patch. If it's just a question
          of enabling the right feature at compile-time, I believe Steve hall's
          distros (at the URL I gave you) have it.

          Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil them
          first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
          -- W. C. Fields

        • char101
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
            On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
            wrote:
            > Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
            > svn patchlevel is not what you think.

            I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
            logs said that it is 7.1.291

            > Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
            > these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
            > +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
            > doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
            > 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
            > in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
            > GUI mode).

            Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
            it since a long time :D

            As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
            windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
            selected tab, i.m.o.)

            http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png

            If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
            source code since it is much harder.

            ---
            Charles
          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              char101 wrote:
              > On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
              > wrote:
              >> Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
              >> svn patchlevel is not what you think.
              >
              > I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
              > logs said that it is 7.1.291
              >
              >> Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
              >> these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
              >> +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
              >> doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
              >> 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
              >> in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
              >> GUI mode).
              >
              > Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
              > it since a long time :D
              >
              > As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
              > windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
              > selected tab, i.m.o.)
              >
              > http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png
              >
              > If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
              > source code since it is much harder.
              >
              > ---
              > Charles

              Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
              it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
              Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
              Windows:

              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

              I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
              can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option but I haven't delved into
              this in detail, because I use "text-style" tabs in both Console Vim and
              gvim. Here's how they look in the console:

              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtexttabs.gif

              and here's how they look in the GUI:

              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimusertabs.gif

              using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
              tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
              other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.

              These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
              the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
              (I actually prefer it).

              If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
              colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

              You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

            • char101
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                On Apr 3, 1:41 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                wrote:
                > Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
                > it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
                > Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
                > Windows:
                >
                > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

                Right, the themed tabs look much clearer since it has top line for
                selected tab. But for windows with classic theme, the selected tab
                only differs in slight vertical size compared to other tabs so I
                prefer the flat look where selected tabs has darker background.

                > I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
                > can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option

                I dont think we can set the colors becase the tabs are drawn by the OS
                instead by vim itself so all we can set is the text that will appear
                on each tab.

                > using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
                > tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
                > other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.
                >
                > These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
                > the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
                > (I actually prefer it).
                >
                > If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
                > colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

                Thank you, but I actually prefer the GUI tabs since it seems to be
                more visible :-D. I also use each tab for its own file so GUI tabs
                will be more efficient since it uses narrower font.

                Best Regards,
                Charles.