About patch 7.1.282

  • char101
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I failed when patching vim with 7.1.282

      running ..\newpatches\7.1.281
      patching file src/if_cscope.c
      patching file src/version.c
      running ..\newpatches\7.1.282
      patching file src/GvimExt/Makefile
      patching file src/dosinst.c
      patching file src/if_ole.cpp
      patching file src/if_ole.h
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 79.
      Hunk #2 FAILED at 143.
      Hunk #3 FAILED at 236.
      3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/if_ole.h.rej
      patching file src/if_ole.idl
      patching file src/INSTALLpc.txt
      patching file src/Make_mvc.mak
      Hunk #3 succeeded at 334 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #4 succeeded at 348 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #5 succeeded at 359 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #6 succeeded at 380 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #7 succeeded at 398 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #8 succeeded at 411 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #9 succeeded at 431 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #10 succeeded at 541 (offset 1 line).
      Hunk #11 FAILED at 764.
      1 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/
      Make_mvc.mak.rej

      One the the failed patch is

      *** ../vim-7.1.281/src/if_ole.h Sun Jun 13 17:46:29 2004
      --- src/if_ole.h Tue Jul 10 16:21:18 2007
      ***************
      *** 79,85 ****
      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;

      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;

      };

      --- 79,85 ----
      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;

      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT_PTR __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;

      };

      The contents of if_ole.h line 79,85

      EXTERN_C const IID IID_IVim;

      #if defined(__cplusplus) && !defined(CINTERFACE)

      MIDL_INTERFACE("0F0BFAE2-4C90-11d1-82D7-0004AC368519")

      While the part that I think should be patched are in line 96-100

      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;

      virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
      /* [retval][out] */ UINT *result) = 0;

      };

      But the part to be replaced is different.

      So is there something missing between 7.1.281 and 7.1.282?

      By the way, I never changed the contents of if_ole.h myself.
      ---
      Charles
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        char101 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I failed when patching vim with 7.1.282
        >
        > running ..\newpatches\7.1.281
        > patching file src/if_cscope.c
        > patching file src/version.c
        > running ..\newpatches\7.1.282
        > patching file src/GvimExt/Makefile
        > patching file src/dosinst.c
        > patching file src/if_ole.cpp
        > patching file src/if_ole.h
        > Hunk #1 FAILED at 79.
        > Hunk #2 FAILED at 143.
        > Hunk #3 FAILED at 236.
        > 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/if_ole.h.rej
        > patching file src/if_ole.idl
        > patching file src/INSTALLpc.txt
        > patching file src/Make_mvc.mak
        > Hunk #3 succeeded at 334 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #4 succeeded at 348 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #5 succeeded at 359 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #6 succeeded at 380 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #7 succeeded at 398 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #8 succeeded at 411 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #9 succeeded at 431 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #10 succeeded at 541 (offset 1 line).
        > Hunk #11 FAILED at 764.
        > 1 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/
        > Make_mvc.mak.rej
        >
        > One the the failed patch is
        >
        > *** ../vim-7.1.281/src/if_ole.h Sun Jun 13 17:46:29 2004
        > --- src/if_ole.h Tue Jul 10 16:21:18 2007
        > ***************
        > *** 79,85 ****
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
        >
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
        > ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;
        >
        > };
        >
        > --- 79,85 ----
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
        >
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
        > ! /* [retval][out] */ UINT_PTR __RPC_FAR *result) = 0;
        >
        > };
        >
        > The contents of if_ole.h line 79,85
        >

        > EXTERN_C const IID IID_IVim;
        >
        > #if defined(__cplusplus)&& !defined(CINTERFACE)
        >
        > MIDL_INTERFACE("0F0BFAE2-4C90-11d1-82D7-0004AC368519")
        >
        > While the part that I think should be patched are in line 96-100
        >
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE SetForeground( void) = 0;
        >
        > virtual HRESULT STDMETHODCALLTYPE GetHwnd(
        > /* [retval][out] */ UINT *result) = 0;
        >
        > };
        >
        > But the part to be replaced is different.
        >
        > So is there something missing between 7.1.281 and 7.1.282?
        >
        > By the way, I never changed the contents of if_ole.h myself.
        > ---
        > Charles

        Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.

        If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
        somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
        listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of

        :redir @+
        :version
        :redir END

        Then paste it into your reply, and afterwards remove everything after
        "Features included (+) or not (-):" -- I'm only interested in the top part.

        If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
        from
        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
        -- click the clipboard-like icon next to the version number to see that
        build's ":version" output before you download it.

        We've sent a man to the moon, and that's 29,000 miles away. The center
        of the Earth is only 4,000 miles away. You could drive that in a week,
        but for some reason nobody's ever done it.
        -- Andy Rooney

      • char101
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          On Apr 2, 12:04 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
          wrote:
          > Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.
          >
          > If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
          > somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
          > listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of

          Hi, here's the output now

          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Apr 2 2008 11:58:14)
          MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
          Included patches: 1-291
          Compiled by Charles@SOLARIS

          At the end I just take those two files that failed to patch (if_ole.h
          and make_mvc.mak) from VIM svn.

          > If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
          > from
          > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...

          Thanks but I need to compile myself since I add python support and
          changed the tab look a little bit (flat tabs) and changed the toolbar
          so that it can have hover effect on win32.

          Thanks for the help.
          ---
          Charles
        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
            char101 wrote:
            > On Apr 2, 12:04 pm, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
            > wrote:
            >> Maybe between 7.1.282 and some earlier patch.
            >>
            >> If you have a "working" version of Vim (with patches up to 280 or
            >> somesuch), what's the "Included patches" line from its ":version"
            >> listing? You can get it into the clipboard by means of
            >
            > Hi, here's the output now
            >
            > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Apr 2 2008 11:58:14)
            > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version with OLE support
            > Included patches: 1-291
            > Compiled by Charles@SOLARIS
            >
            > At the end I just take those two files that failed to patch (if_ole.h
            > and make_mvc.mak) from VIM svn.

            Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
            svn patchlevel is not what you think. In your place I'd feel better with
            either all patched sources (and restart from scratch if necessary, see
            http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm ) or all svn
            sources. Since you have Python installed you might want to try syncing
            your sources by A-A-P.

            >> If you are on Windows, you can get pre-compiled, updated distributions
            >> from
            >> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_...
            >
            > Thanks but I need to compile myself since I add python support and
            > changed the tab look a little bit (flat tabs) and changed the toolbar
            > so that it can have hover effect on win32.
            >
            > Thanks for the help.
            > ---
            > Charles

            Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
            these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
            +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
            doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
            'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
            in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
            GUI mode).

            If it is not possible, without a custom patch, to display the same
            tooltips on the W32 toolbar as those that I get on the GTK+2 toolbar,
            I'm sure Bram would be interested in that patch. If it's just a question
            of enabling the right feature at compile-time, I believe Steve hall's
            distros (at the URL I gave you) have it.

            Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you parboil them
            first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
            -- W. C. Fields

          • char101
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
              On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
              wrote:
              > Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
              > svn patchlevel is not what you think.

              I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
              logs said that it is 7.1.291

              > Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
              > these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
              > +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
              > doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
              > 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
              > in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
              > GUI mode).

              Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
              it since a long time :D

              As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
              windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
              selected tab, i.m.o.)

              http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png

              If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
              source code since it is much harder.

              ---
              Charles
            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
                char101 wrote:
                > On Apr 3, 3:28 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
                > wrote:
                >> Hm... Mixing svn and ftp+patch, this might be courting disaster if the
                >> svn patchlevel is not what you think.
                >
                > I have checked the svn source before I used it, and the svn commit
                > logs said that it is 7.1.291
                >
                >> Python support is not a problem if you have python25.dll installed:
                >> these distros have +mzscheme/dyn +perl/dyn +python/dyn +ruby/dyn
                >> +tcl/dyn (why didn't you check?). The look of the tab bar normally
                >> doesn't require patching, but just clever settings of one or more of the
                >> 'tabline', 'guitablabel' and 'guioptions' options (I use text-style tabs
                >> in the standard Vim GUI, so I have identical tabs in console mode and in
                >> GUI mode).
                >
                > Let's just say that I like to compile it myself and I have been doing
                > it since a long time :D
                >
                > As for the tab change, here is the screenshot (normal tab style in
                > windows classic styles does not clearly show which is the currently
                > selected tab, i.m.o.)
                >
                > http://charupload.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gvim.png
                >
                > If it can be done by some options, surely I wouldn't mess up with the
                > source code since it is much harder.
                >
                > ---
                > Charles

                Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
                it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
                Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
                Windows:

                http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

                I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
                can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option but I haven't delved into
                this in detail, because I use "text-style" tabs in both Console Vim and
                gvim. Here's how they look in the console:

                http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtexttabs.gif

                and here's how they look in the GUI:

                http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimusertabs.gif

                using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
                tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
                other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.

                These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
                the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
                (I actually prefer it).

                If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
                colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

                You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

              • char101
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                  On Apr 3, 1:41 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hm. Here's what I see with default settings (and -u NONE) in gvim; but
                  > it's a GTK+2 GUI running in X11 with a KDE windows manager (I'm on
                  > Linux), so I don't know how much this resembles the OS-style tabs on
                  > Windows:
                  >
                  > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimtabs.gif

                  Right, the themed tabs look much clearer since it has top line for
                  selected tab. But for windows with classic theme, the selected tab
                  only differs in slight vertical size compared to other tabs so I
                  prefer the flat look where selected tabs has darker background.

                  > I think the colour of the foreground and background of the tabs' labels
                  > can be set by a custom 'guitablabel' option

                  I dont think we can set the colors becase the tabs are drawn by the OS
                  instead by vim itself so all we can set is the text that will appear
                  on each tab.

                  > using my usual 'tabline' setting and my usual colorscheme. The current
                  > tab (in the GUI) is shown by bold text, but I could have chosen any
                  > other fg and/or bg, as shown by the change of bg in console mode.
                  >
                  > These "text-style" tabs are, I believe, more platform-independent than
                  > the "OS-style" tabs but you might find their look and feel less pleasant
                  > (I actually prefer it).
                  >
                  > If you're interested, I can yank the relevant lines from my vimrc and
                  > colorscheme to define those custom "text-style" tabs.

                  Thank you, but I actually prefer the GUI tabs since it seems to be
                  more visible :-D. I also use each tab for its own file so GUI tabs
                  will be more efficient since it uses narrower font.

                  Best Regards,
                  Charles.