Re: ANNC: mkvimball

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      hermitte@... wrote:
      > Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I've written a small C program, mkvimball, which generates vimballs; use
      >> it from the .vim/ directory. You may get a copy of it at:
      >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/src/index.html#MKVIMBALL . Its good
      >> for use inside shell scripts, for example.
      >>

      > Thanks! That sounds like a good news to me.
      >
      > BTW, is there a way to define dependencies between vimballs?
      >
      > For instance, I have lh-cpp that depends on mu-template, which depends on
      > lh-vim-lib and lh-map-tools, which depends also depends on lh-vim-lib.
      >
      > Is there a automated way to define aggregations of sub-vimballs without the need
      > to duplicate the list of files, or may be to fetch other vimballs from website
      > (like GetLastScript, IIRC) ?

      Not so far in the vimball itself. However, if there's a plugin
      involved, it can have multiple GetLatestVimScripts lines with
      (plugin-author determined) :AutoInstall: qualifiers. Align.vim has two
      such lines itself (Align.vim and cecutil.vim).

      Vimballs themselves aren't much more than concatenations of the
      requested files (there's a bit of path and file size information, too).
      Vimball users get auto-helptags and the ability to remove
      vimball-generated output (except possibly for directories -- which I'm
      mulling over).

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell