Re: ANNC: mkvimball

  • hermitte@free.fr
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
      > I've written a small C program, mkvimball, which generates vimballs; use
      > it from the .vim/ directory. You may get a copy of it at:
      > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/src/index.html#MKVIMBALL . Its good
      > for use inside shell scripts, for example.

      Thanks! That sounds like a good news to me.

      BTW, is there a way to define dependencies between vimballs?

      For instance, I have lh-cpp that depends on mu-template, which depends on
      lh-vim-lib and lh-map-tools, which depends also depends on lh-vim-lib.

      Is there a automated way to define aggregations of sub-vimballs without the need
      to duplicate the list of files, or may be to fetch other vimballs from website
      (like GetLastScript, IIRC) ?

      --
      Luc Hermitte

    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        hermitte@... wrote:
        > Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I've written a small C program, mkvimball, which generates vimballs; use
        >> it from the .vim/ directory. You may get a copy of it at:
        >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/src/index.html#MKVIMBALL . Its good
        >> for use inside shell scripts, for example.
        >>

        > Thanks! That sounds like a good news to me.
        >
        > BTW, is there a way to define dependencies between vimballs?
        >
        > For instance, I have lh-cpp that depends on mu-template, which depends on
        > lh-vim-lib and lh-map-tools, which depends also depends on lh-vim-lib.
        >
        > Is there a automated way to define aggregations of sub-vimballs without the need
        > to duplicate the list of files, or may be to fetch other vimballs from website
        > (like GetLastScript, IIRC) ?

        Not so far in the vimball itself. However, if there's a plugin
        involved, it can have multiple GetLatestVimScripts lines with
        (plugin-author determined) :AutoInstall: qualifiers. Align.vim has two
        such lines itself (Align.vim and cecutil.vim).

        Vimballs themselves aren't much more than concatenations of the
        requested files (there's a bit of path and file size information, too).
        Vimball users get auto-helptags and the ability to remove
        vimball-generated output (except possibly for directories -- which I'm
        mulling over).

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell