Re: Completion popup menu is invisible when the current line does not fit on the screen

  • Dominique Pelle
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2008
      On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM, François Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM, François Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
      > > Here are two patches I've written. The first one leaves a maximum of
      > > two lines of context between the cursor and the popup menu. The second
      > > one introduces an option (pumshift) to set that value (default is
      > > two).
      >
      > Sorry, I just figured out that there was a problem in the computation
      > of the height, here are the updated patches.

      Hi François:

      I have tested your patch #1. For long lines that wrap multiple times,
      completion popup
      does not behave in a symetric way whether popup appears:

      1/ below the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the top of the screen)
      2/ or above the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the bottom of the screen)

      In the first case, popup behaves as you intended I think i.e. it goes
      below the entire wrapped line, but no more than 3 screen-lines below
      when the line wraps many times (good)

      In the second case, popop always appears only one screen-line
      above the cursor, even if the line is long and wraps several time. I
      would expect the popup to be at the top of the line being edited but
      no more than 3 screen-lines above the cursor to behave symetrically
      with case 1/

      Hopefully this explanation makes sense to you. If not, I can put a link
      with screenshots if you want.

      -- Dominique

    • François Ingelrest
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
        On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Dominique Pelle
        <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
        > Hi François:
        >
        > I have tested your patch #1. For long lines that wrap multiple times,
        > completion popup
        > does not behave in a symetric way whether popup appears:
        >
        > 1/ below the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the top of the screen)
        > 2/ or above the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the bottom of the screen)
        >
        > In the first case, popup behaves as you intended I think i.e. it goes
        > below the entire wrapped line, but no more than 3 screen-lines below
        > when the line wraps many times (good)
        >
        > In the second case, popop always appears only one screen-line
        > above the cursor, even if the line is long and wraps several time. I
        > would expect the popup to be at the top of the line being edited but
        > no more than 3 screen-lines above the cursor to behave symetrically
        > with case 1/
        >
        > Hopefully this explanation makes sense to you. If not, I can put a link
        > with screenshots if you want.

        Yes, I understand what you mean and it would make sense to keep the
        same amount of lines of context in both cases, I'll try to fix that.
        Thanks for your feedback, that was almost the first time I looked at
        Vim's code :-)

      • François Ingelrest
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
          On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM, François Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Dominique Pelle
          > <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
          > > Hi François:
          > >
          > > I have tested your patch #1. For long lines that wrap multiple times,
          > > completion popup
          > > does not behave in a symetric way whether popup appears:
          > >
          > > 1/ below the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the top of the screen)
          > > 2/ or above the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the bottom of the screen)
          > >
          > > In the first case, popup behaves as you intended I think i.e. it goes
          > > below the entire wrapped line, but no more than 3 screen-lines below
          > > when the line wraps many times (good)
          > >
          > > In the second case, popop always appears only one screen-line
          > > above the cursor, even if the line is long and wraps several time. I
          > > would expect the popup to be at the top of the line being edited but
          > > no more than 3 screen-lines above the cursor to behave symetrically
          > > with case 1/
          > >
          > > Hopefully this explanation makes sense to you. If not, I can put a link
          > > with screenshots if you want.
          >
          > Yes, I understand what you mean and it would make sense to keep the
          > same amount of lines of context in both cases, I'll try to fix that.
          > Thanks for your feedback, that was almost the first time I looked at
          > Vim's code :-)

          Here is the updated version of the patch: it leaves a maximum of two

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
            On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM, François Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
            > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM, François Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
            > > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Dominique Pelle
            > > <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
            > > > Hi François:
            > > >
            > > > I have tested your patch #1. For long lines that wrap multiple times,
            > > > completion popup
            > > > does not behave in a symetric way whether popup appears:
            > > >
            > > > 1/ below the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the top of the screen)
            > > > 2/ or above the cursor (i.e. when cursor is near the bottom of the screen)
            > > >
            > > > In the first case, popup behaves as you intended I think i.e. it goes
            > > > below the entire wrapped line, but no more than 3 screen-lines below
            > > > when the line wraps many times (good)
            > > >
            > > > In the second case, popop always appears only one screen-line
            > > > above the cursor, even if the line is long and wraps several time. I
            > > > would expect the popup to be at the top of the line being edited but
            > > > no more than 3 screen-lines above the cursor to behave symetrically
            > > > with case 1/
            > > >
            > > > Hopefully this explanation makes sense to you. If not, I can put a link
            > > > with screenshots if you want.
            > >
            > > Yes, I understand what you mean and it would make sense to keep the
            > > same amount of lines of context in both cases, I'll try to fix that.
            > > Thanks for your feedback, that was almost the first time I looked at
            > > Vim's code :-)
            >
            > Here is the updated version of the patch: it leaves a maximum of two
            > lines of context in both cases.

            I've tested your updated patch for the popup menu.
            It works fine now from what I can tell. Thanks!

            -- Dominique