Re: Bug: Can't replace highlighted text with "Q"!

  • hamlen
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2008
      Thanks, both, for the advice. Now that I know what the problem is, I
      can take appropriate steps to rectify it in my .vimrc.

      From the broader standpoint of making Vim better, I still think that
      this particular Vim "feature" shouldn't be the default though.
      Consider the average user who downloads Vim for the first time,
      launches it in "Easy" mode, and starts typing. Ideally he should be
      able to do basic editing having never learned about :unmap, :source,
      or .vimrc files. Most of Vim seems to be designed this way, which is
      great because it makes the learning curve for Vim reasonable. But the
      behavior we've identified is a peculiar exception. It affects even the
      most basic editing tasks in a highly unintuitive, unconventional, and
      unexplained way. I'm a fan of backward compatability, but even if this
      exists for compatability reasons I think that this is one case where
      backward compatibility should take a back seat to user-friendliness.

      Would there be severe consequences to changing the map command in
      vimrc_example.vim to an nmap in future releases of Vim? That seems to
      me like a graceful solution that would at least hide this oddity from
      easy-mode users and the like.

      Best,
      Kevin

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2008
        On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Tony Mechelynck
        <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        > If I had copied the 6.0 vimrc_example.vim when I
        > started using Vim, not only would my own vimrc have become much harder
        > to understand for the beginner I was then, in addition, and maybe more
        > important, I would since then not have benefited by these new
        > enhancements -- and I'm a relatively recent user of Vim.

        Why not automagically diff vimrc_example.vim with your own,
        unmodified copy (make another one to actually source if you want to
        edit stuff) during vim startup? That way, you would know when things
        changed and could merge back whatever you like.

        Richard

        PS: md5/shaN/whirlpoolsum would work as well, but would make a
        nice automagic diff that shows what changed impossible.