Re: upgrading vim on linux

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
      > there seems to be a vim-7.1.tar.bz2.... but I have no idea what a bz2
      > file is and the site doesn't explain it (that I can find...).

      bz2 is a compression format (like gz, but with better compression). On
      many systems, tar can uncompress tar.bz2 files directly if you do

      tar xfj file.tar.bz2

      (that is, use a 'j' instead of the 'z' you use for tar.gz files).
      Here's the second hit of a google search for "bz2": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bzip2

      > Not sure why this couldn't be setup to be as easy as installing gvim
      > for my windows box...

      There surely is a distribution-dependent way, that's "easy" (where
      "easy" means "similar to windows"). For example, I'm sure you can
      upgrade Vim through the add/remove programs dialog in Ubuntu. But
      uncompressing the source and doing `make && sudo make install` is what
      should work with all distributions.

      HTH,
      Nico

    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008
        You can try the scriptvim7-install.sh (attached)
        which downloads, builds and installs latest vim7
        in one command without arguments.

        Description and download link ia at:
        Invocation:
        sh ./vim7-install.sh

        Or save the script directly from this link:
        http://ilerner.3b1.org/vim7-install.sh

        Attached.

        Yakov