Re: upgrading vim on linux

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4 10:03 AM
      > there seems to be a vim-7.1.tar.bz2.... but I have no idea what a bz2
      > file is and the site doesn't explain it (that I can find...).

      bz2 is a compression format (like gz, but with better compression). On
      many systems, tar can uncompress tar.bz2 files directly if you do

      tar xfj file.tar.bz2

      (that is, use a 'j' instead of the 'z' you use for tar.gz files).
      Here's the second hit of a google search for "bz2": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bzip2

      > Not sure why this couldn't be setup to be as easy as installing gvim
      > for my windows box...

      There surely is a distribution-dependent way, that's "easy" (where
      "easy" means "similar to windows"). For example, I'm sure you can
      upgrade Vim through the add/remove programs dialog in Ubuntu. But
      uncompressing the source and doing `make && sudo make install` is what
      should work with all distributions.

      HTH,
      Nico

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4 10:15 AM
        Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        > e0richt@... wrote:
        >> I seem to have a problem where I want to upgrade my version of gvim
        >> for linux but am somewhat confused by the site....
        >>
        >> there seems to be a vim-7.1.tar.bz2.... but I have no idea what a bz2
        >> file is and the site doesn't explain it (that I can find...).
        >>
        >> so I tried to use vim-6.4-src1.tar.gz and vim-6.4-src2.tar.gz and
        >> untar'ed them.
        >> according to the site you need to type "make install" and everything
        >> will work (assuming a c compiler and such...) but unfortunately, I
        >> couldn't find a "makefile"....
        >>
        >> Not sure why this couldn't be setup to be as easy as installing gvim
        >> for my windows box...
        >>
        > bunzip2 vim-7.1.tar.bz2
        > tar -xf vim-7.1.tar
        > cd vim71
        > configure
        > make
        > make install
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell

        For more details (and a full step-by-step procedure the way I use it to
        keep Vim up-to-date on Linux) see
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

        One reason it's more complex on Linux is that there are a lot different
        Linux (and Unix) distributions, with nonuniform conventions as to where
        the runtime libraries are placed; also users have much more freedom
        about which software packages they want to install -- or not. You could
        say that the number of "possible" Unix/Linux systems is unbounded.
        Windows, OTOH, is distributed only by Microsoft, or at least, in a form
        strictly controlled by Microsoft. Compare the one CD or DVD for a given
        version of Windows with the plethora of CDs, DVDs, or online downloads
        released at approximately the same time by Red-Hat-Fedora, Novell-SuSE,
        Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mandriva, what-have-you. So, before we actually
        compile, we run a configure "program" to find out what software is
        sitting on the machine, where it is located, combine that with your
        configure options (such as --with-features=huge --enable-perlinterp
        etc.), and create a configure.mk which will be included by the
        src/Makefile invoked by the top-level Vim Makefile (Makefile, not
        makefile: case is significant in Unix/Linux filenames).

        This configure step also has advantages: you could say that it has the
        qualities of its defaults: it allows (almost) common treatment for not
        only various Linux distributions but also Unix and Unix-like systems
        which have nothing to do with Linux, such as BeOS, FreeBSD, even
        Mac-OS-X and VAX/VMS. The differences between all these only
        approximately similar systems are resolved at configure time with only
        very limited manual intervention. OTOH, when compiling for Windows,
        different Makefiles are needed to cater for something as elementary as
        different C compilers, hence the various Make_cyg.mak, Make_bc5.mak,
        Make_bc3.mak, Make_ming.mac, Make_mvc.mak, Make_w16.mak...

        Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4 10:30 AM
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > <snip>
          > This configure step also has advantages: you could say that it has the
          > qualities of its defaults: it allows (almost) common treatment for not
          > only various Linux distributions but also Unix and Unix-like systems
          > which have nothing to do with Linux, such as BeOS, FreeBSD, even
          > Mac-OS-X and VAX/VMS. The differences between all these only
          > approximately similar systems...<snip>

          Hello, Tony!

          Good explanation -- but (you knew that was coming!) vax/vms is pretty
          unlike unix. It falls into the totally dissimilar category (ie. not
          unix-like). For example, paths: [this.is.a.path]filename.ext ~
          /this/is/a/path/filename.ext . The Amiga is another dissimilar o/s, but
          I'd say its more similar to unix that vax/vms is.

          Anyway, to continue with Tony's point: the build & compile process is
          sufficiently flexible to handle totally dissimilar-to-unix operating
          systems such as AmigaDos and Vax/Vms.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Markus Heidelberg
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4 12:02 PM
            e0richt@..., Tuesday, 4. March 2008:

            > Not sure why this couldn't be setup to be as easy as installing gvim
            > for my windows box...

            What Linux distribution do you use? Isn't there an up-to-date version of Vim
            available within your package manager? That's the normal way for end-users to
            install software and this is by far easier and more comfortable than installing
            software on Windows.

            Markus

          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6 2:54 AM
              You can try the scriptvim7-install.sh (attached)
              which downloads, builds and installs latest vim7
              in one command without arguments.

              Description and download link ia at:
              Invocation:
              sh ./vim7-install.sh

              Or save the script directly from this link:
              http://ilerner.3b1.org/vim7-install.sh

              Attached.

              Yakov