Re: Porting vim to NetBSD

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
      gnani wrote:
      > I read this link and your replies. I'm trying to make vim binary for
      > NetBSD-3.0 from CYGWIN_NT-5.0 system. So, i tried cross compiling the
      > vim. It was not successful initially. Then I tried with your patches
      > for configure.in and configure scripts. I get the following error
      > messages while configuring.
      > -------
      > checking for strip... strip... configure: error: failed to compile
      > test program
      > configure: error: cannot compile a simple program, check CC and
      > CFLAGS
      > (cross compiling doesn't work)
      > ------
      > This is what my configure parameters and I executed like below.
      >
      > ./configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i386-unknown-netbsdelf3.0 --
      > target=i386-unknown-netbsdelf3.0 --with-tlib=ncurses
      >
      > but I haven't set any other environment variables like you said
      > already.
      >
      > If you could give me some solution to get my expected binary, it will
      > be great helpful?
      > Thanks alot in advance.

      In reading this thread, it looks like configure is giving you some
      problems. I haven't delved into it deeply, but it seems to me that what
      configure does you're basically not going to be able to get it to do on
      a separate system. Configure creates/touches directories xxd/,
      testdir/, po/, objects/, and auto/ under vim71/src (assuming vim71, of
      course). The only one that it makes files in is vim71/src/auto:
      config.cache config.h config.log config.mk config.status*
      configure* configure.orig* . So you need to cut configure down to just
      involve doing things like huge/tiny and whether or not to include
      perl/tcl/etc support. This cut-down configure won't be able to test
      whether, for example, perl is available on your target; you'll have to
      tell it where it is expected to be.

      I think you'd be better off thinking about writing a new configure to do
      this and perhaps extracting some pieces of configure rather than
      thinking of it as a "modify configure" problem.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell