Re: gvim tab bar's bug

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 29, 2008
      Neptune Ning (plan) wrote:
      > Thanks for explaining to me, now I understand the relationship between
      > gvim and vim. I didn't do "make install" was because my purpose of
      > compiling vim is for testing, and didn't want to get it mix with
      > vim/gvim managed by Gentoo portage.

      If Gentoo's vim/gvim are elsewhere (e.g. in /usr/bin/vim with runtime files in
      /usr/share/vim/vim71/) then you can "make install" with no problems: it will
      install your own-compiled Vim in /usr/local/bin (which is earlier in the
      $PATH) with runtime files in /usr/local/share/vim/vim71/. Any package
      dependencies will still be fulfilled by Gentoo's Vim, but invoking "vim" will
      run yours -- which shouldn't be a problem if it's a Big or Huge version --
      "bigger" than Gentoo's, so it has at least the same capabilities.

      > Maybe the bug exists in vim's GUI version (it has nothing to do with
      > gvim Ex, gvim just adds menus and toolbars). It's the same GUI tabbar no
      > matter whether in vim -g or gvim. Am I get it right?

      Yes. If your Vim is compiled "with GUI", "vim -g" is identical with "gvim"
      (assuming gvim redirects to vim). If it isn't, neither will work.

      [...]
      > Best regards,
      > Plan

      Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny--
      Did you ever try buying them without money?
      -- Ogden Nash