Re: two questions about tabs

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29 12:43 PM
      Hi,

      On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:16 PM, mitch <mgart@...> wrote:

      > (I'm asking about the visual tabs that appear at the top of the
      > editor, not about tabs vs. spaces inside a file.)
      >
      > In Windows I would really like it if I could drag a file onto Vim, and
      > have it automatically open the file in a new tab, instead of replacing
      > the file that is currently being edited. Is there a way to set that
      > up?

      This has been asked several times. Currently I don't think there is
      a built-in way to do this.

      When you drag and drop files into Vim, the files are opened as if
      the ":drop" command was executed.

      The ":drop" command supports the "tab" modifier, which opens the
      files in tabs. But there is no way to specify the "tab" modifier when
      dragging and dropping files into Vim.

      You can press Ctrl while dropping files into Vim to open the files in
      split windows. May be we can add that if you press Alt and drop
      the files, then the files will be opened in tabs?

      - Yegappan

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29 2:19 PM
        > This has been asked several times. Currently I don't think there is
        > a built-in way to do this.
        >
        > When you drag and drop files into Vim, the files are opened as if
        > the ":drop" command was executed.
        >
        > The ":drop" command supports the "tab" modifier, which opens the
        > files in tabs. But there is no way to specify the "tab" modifier when
        > dragging and dropping files into Vim.
        >
        > You can press Ctrl while dropping files into Vim to open the files in
        > split windows. May be we can add that if you press Alt and drop
        > the files, then the files will be opened in tabs?

        How about a FileDropped autocommand that is executed when the file is
        dropped? (and if it isn't set, the current behaviour is executed)

        Alternatively, dropping a file on the tab bar could open the file in a
        new tab.

        Alt-drop is not very discoverable imho.

        Nico