Re: gvim tab bar's bug

  • Patrick Texier
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2008
      Le Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:41:38 +0000, Neptune Ning (plan) a écrit dans le
      message <1e25f1be0802270041w2666794aybcaec64cd9ef0b89@...> :

      > I appreciate for you replay. Since Gentoo has only max version 7.1.213 of
      > gvim currently , so I downloaded all the patches prior to 7.1.265 and built
      > it myseltf.

      Thanks for you tiny screen copy attachement, it's my yesterday test.

      I'm using now text tabs with the following line in my .vimrc:
      set guioptions-=e (for ultimates wimmers ;-) set guioptions=)

      GUI tabs have at least two bugs :

      - open tab uses startup columns option and not current:

      $ gvim -c":set lines=25 columns=60"
      maximazes window (for me 42 x 110)
      :tab new [or any tab command like tab help or tabedit]
      You get 60 columns (and not current value)

      - lines ignore KDE toolbar.

      > Compiled by root@localhost

      root is needed only for make install

      > Normal version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

      use ./configure --with-features=big (or huge)
      --
      Patrick Texier,
      Frulon, 36190 Orsennes, France (46°31'N, 01°41'E)

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2008
        Neptune Ning (plan) wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I appreciate for you replay. Since Gentoo has only max version 7.1.213
        > of gvim currently , so I downloaded all the patches prior to 7.1.265 and
        > built it myseltf. I run " ./vim -g" in the source directory instead
        > because I didn't manage to get gvim built .
        [...]
        > ./vim --version
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled Feb 27 2008 15:56:12)
        > Included patches: 1, 3, 5-265
        > Compiled by root@localhost
        > Normal version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        [...]

        What you built is a GUI version of Vim. By default, on Linux, it is named vim
        because it can work either in console mode or in GUI mode. To be able to
        invoke it as any of the "alternate names" mentioned under ":help ex", do the
        following in the bash shell (once: the next time you compile Vim, you won't
        have to do it again):

        cd /usr/local/bin
        for p in vi ex exim view gvim gex gview rvim rview rgvim rgview evim eview
        vimdiff gvimdiff; do ln -sv vim $p; done

        -- from "for" to "done" is one long line; you may remove any program names
        which you don't want to install, e.g. remove exim if you use the "other" exim
        for handling mail.

        The above is what is meant by the following sentence in the help:

        On Unix, you would normally have one executable called Vim, and links from the
        different startup-names to that executable.

        Every solution breeds new problems.

      • Neptune Ning (plan)
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 29, 2008
          Thanks for explaining to me, now I understand the relationship between gvim and vim. I didn't do "make install" was because my purpose of compiling vim is for testing,  and didn't want to get it mix with vim/gvim managed by Gentoo portage.

          Maybe the bug exists in vim's GUI version (it has nothing to do with gvim Ex, gvim just adds menus and toolbars). It's the same GUI tabbar no matter whether in vim -g or gvim. Am I get it right?

          did any one see my debug log (it's in my previous post) ? The calculation result in function gui_resize_shell() of gui.c is somehow weird. after open a new tab , gui.num_rows  did change from 24 to 22, but when I saw  GUI tab bar came out, gui.num_rows changed back to 24 again,

          Best regards,
          Plan

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 29, 2008
            Neptune Ning (plan) wrote:
            > Thanks for explaining to me, now I understand the relationship between
            > gvim and vim. I didn't do "make install" was because my purpose of
            > compiling vim is for testing, and didn't want to get it mix with
            > vim/gvim managed by Gentoo portage.

            If Gentoo's vim/gvim are elsewhere (e.g. in /usr/bin/vim with runtime files in
            /usr/share/vim/vim71/) then you can "make install" with no problems: it will
            install your own-compiled Vim in /usr/local/bin (which is earlier in the
            $PATH) with runtime files in /usr/local/share/vim/vim71/. Any package
            dependencies will still be fulfilled by Gentoo's Vim, but invoking "vim" will
            run yours -- which shouldn't be a problem if it's a Big or Huge version --
            "bigger" than Gentoo's, so it has at least the same capabilities.

            > Maybe the bug exists in vim's GUI version (it has nothing to do with
            > gvim Ex, gvim just adds menus and toolbars). It's the same GUI tabbar no
            > matter whether in vim -g or gvim. Am I get it right?

            Yes. If your Vim is compiled "with GUI", "vim -g" is identical with "gvim"
            (assuming gvim redirects to vim). If it isn't, neither will work.

            [...]
            > Best regards,
            > Plan

            Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny--
            Did you ever try buying them without money?
            -- Ogden Nash