Re: "collaborative editing" clarification Was: New features to vote on and sponsoring

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2008
      Yakov Lerner wrote:

      > Hello Bram,
      > You wrote:
      > > add collaborative editing: changes made to a buffer show up in another Vim
      > in a second
      >
      > I'd like to ask for some clarifications. Clarification about
      > perceived behaviour, not about implementation:
      >
      > 1. "two-way collaboration" or "one-way collaboration" ?
      >
      > Vim instance B attaches to instance A for collaboration
      > on file F. Then B absorbs (and shows) changes to F made by A, right ?
      >
      > Does it automatically work the opposite way ? That is, when B's user
      > makes changes, will A also show these changes so that they always stay in
      > sync ?
      >
      > Which operation mode will be the basic mode ? The two-way or the one-way ?
      > Do we allow both modes of operation ?
      >
      > In two-way collab, two swapfiles file will coexist for the same edited file,
      > right ?

      "collaborative" implies that people work together. Probably N-way.
      Possibly with some restrictions (people may be able to join in read-only
      mode).

      Also that when you start Vim on a file at home, you can continue working
      on it from work and then on your laptop in Starbucks. Without getting
      "swap file exists" errors.

      I can't say anything about the implementation. Figuring this out is
      part of the work. It requires votes before thinking about this.

      --
      Our job was to build a computer information system for the branch banks. We
      were the perfect people for the job: Dean had seen a computer once, and I had