Re: VIM and NTFS streams

  • krischik
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
      On 2 Feb., 19:47, Alexei Alexandrov <alexei.alexand...@...>
      wrote:
      > krischik wrote:
      > > On 31 Jan., 19:57, Alexei Alexandrov <alexei.alexand...@...>
      > > wrote:
      >
      > >> 2 notes here:
      >
      > >> 1. I think NTFS streams is useless feature.
      >
      > > NTFS Streams can be used for the very same stuff resource streams on
      > > MacOS or extended attributes on OS/2 / Linux are used.
      >
      > I'm not aware well of Linux mechanisms for storing extended attributes
      > inside files on Linux.

      Open a console and type "man 5 attr"? Or look here:

      http://linux.die.net/man/5/attr

      > Word "Linux" looks strange to me here in fact -
      > it might a property of extX filesystem, but it doesn't have to do
      > anything with Linux I think since I may use other systems for root mount
      > point - reiserfs, for example.

      No it has nothing to do with Linux. FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
      support extended attributes as well. See:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

      > Do you have exact answers to the
      > following questions:

      > * Which mechanism is used on Linux to store these extended attributes on
      > Linux? Is it filesystem-based? If yes, which filesystems currently have
      > it implemented?

      Quote Wikipedia: "In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, ReiserFS and
      XFS filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) if the
      libattr feature is enabled in the kernel configuration. "

      Which it is ever since about SuSE 9.0

      > * Which applications use this feature on Linux? Are they OS-specific?

      Sadly I know only of two applications: setxattr and getxattr. But they
      are not OS specific - they are supported via the "libattr" library.

      > Are there application programs that use this? Are those programs
      > portable? If yes, how they deal with absence of this feature on other
      > file systems? These are exactly questions which I would ask myself if I would be
      > designing something new and would be considering using NTFS file
      > streams.

      These are also exactly the questions which hold back software
      engineering for the last 20 years or so.

      > Will there be FAT32 file system clients? Would I care to port
      > the program to other system some time later? Et cetera. And most (if not
      > all) programs choose to use simple abstractions (files/directories)
      > available on all modern systems because it works well, because you'd
      > better keep it simple and because there are more important things to
      > focus on.

      On the other hand use of extended attributes could solve a problem
      with 5 lines of code where solving the same problem without could cost
      you 50. Determine file types, text file line endings and text file
      encoding come to my mind here. Ask Bram how many line of code he
      needed in Vim to determine these three informations. With consequent
      use of xattribs it would have been 6 lines:

      char mime_type[64];
      char mime_encoding[64];
      char line_ending[64];

      getxattr (filename, "Content-Type",mime_type, sizeof mime_type);
      getxattr (filename, "Line-Ending", line_ending, sizeof line_ending);
      getxattr (filename, "Content-Encoding",mime_encoding, sizeof
      mime_encoding);

      And best of all: you know before you open the file. AFAIK Bram need to
      close and reopen files in unfortunate combinations.

      It is often overlooked that not only using a new feature posses risks
      but not using as well.

      How often I ended up with xxx.yyy.htm after a download... Or ever
      better: the amount of frustrated SymbianOS users which tried to
      download a theme (named xxx.utz) and ended up with xxx.zip. All
      because some webserver and or browser made a mistake when trying to
      determining the file type (utz and zip share the same file header).

      And it is precisely those "simple abstractions (files/directories)
      available on all modern systems" which bring those problems. Only:
      It's not "modern systems" - it's "between 1 and 2 decades old
      systems". Truly modern operating systems support extended attributes.

      > P.S. I do see some cases where the data streams feature might be useful.
      > For example, anti-virus program might store some information about the
      > scanned file in a separate stream.

      To late: there are already anti virus solutions which do that.

      Martin
    • krischik
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
        On 4 Feb., 15:18, krischik <krisc...@...> wrote:

        > And it is precisely those "simple abstractions (files/directories)
        > available on all modern systems"  which bring those problems. Only:
        > It's not "modern systems" - it's "between 1 and 2 decades old
        > systems". Truly modern operating systems support extended attributes.

        One of the reasons I feel so strongly about this issue is the fact
        that I used OS/2 before where storing the file type in the extended
        attributes was standart. And it worked a lot better then extensions
        (Dos) or scanning the first 256 bytes for magic patterns (Unix). There
        was no guessing involved: The first filetype (the .TYPE xattrib in OS/
        2 is a list) was the primary filetype the rest where possible
        alternative representations (like a html file could also be
        represented as plain text).

        And then there was the .ICON xattrib - how I miss the .ICON xattrib -
        I could drag and drop an icon to every file and from thereon the file
        would be represented by that icon.

        Now, nostalgia besides: The point is that those "simple abstractions"
        lead to primitive solutions. And indeed OS/2 with it's advanced file
        system offered a user experience which even Vista won't offer you. KDE
        offers some of it - for the price of littering you filesystem with
        ".directory" files. But KDE still can't do what OS/2 could do - mainly
        because they would need use extended attributes to do so - and the KDE
        developers follow the same line of thought you do - which in turn
        holds them back.

        Martin

        PS: On FAT the extended attributes where stored in a file called "EA
        DATA. SF" - which shows that even older file systems can be taught new
        tricks.
      • Matt Wozniski
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
          On Feb 4, 2008 9:18 AM, krischik wrote:

          > On the other hand use of extended attributes could solve a problem
          > with 5 lines of code where solving the same problem without could cost
          > you 50. Determine file types, text file line endings and text file
          > encoding come to my mind here. Ask Bram how many line of code he
          > needed in Vim to determine these three informations. With consequent
          > use of xattribs it would have been 6 lines:
          >
          > char mime_type[64];
          > char mime_encoding[64];
          > char line_ending[64];
          >
          > getxattr (filename, "Content-Type",mime_type, sizeof mime_type);
          > getxattr (filename, "Line-Ending", line_ending, sizeof line_ending);
          > getxattr (filename, "Content-Encoding",mime_encoding, sizeof
          > mime_encoding);

          While this would be nice, it would require support code from every
          application you have. It may only be 6 lines, but 6 lines * 5000
          binaries is much more code than is in vim for line ending detection.
          After all, vim can't use this information unless something put it
          there, which requires that everything that can create a file - from
          touch to wget to shell redirection - needs to be able to put that
          attribute into the file. And, AFAIK, there's no way for those wget or
          shell redirection to even know what type of line ending the data that
          they wrote out had. Which means they'd need to detect it. Which
          would require that just about every program out there that is
          transcribing a data stream from one spot to another, rather than
          authoring it itself, would need to duplicate the sort of EOL detection
          code in vim in itself. And vim would still need to continue
          supporting the old way since it's designed to run on filesystems that
          still don't support extended attributes - or it would need to come up
          with a way to fake extended attributes on those FS types. No one is
          saying that extended attributes can't do useful things - just that
          without being in any way standardized, it's unreasonable to expect
          that any attributes will ever be set by anyone but you.

          That being said, if vim had a convenient way to see if extended
          attributes support was available on the filesystem, it might be worth
          caching things like the fileformat in the extended attributes, so it
          only needed to be computed once... Though that might open up a whole
          new can of worms, since someone could easily change the line endings
          with another tool between two vim runs, confusing the n00b user with a
          bunch of ^M's show up everywhere... all in all, this is one place
          where manual detection seems the best idea.

          For things like content encoding, it might be more useful - but again,
          since every other tool doesn't create it, vim would still need to fall
          back on autodetection if it couldn't find an attribute for it.

          ~Matt

        • krischik
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
            On 4 Feb., 21:10, "Matt Wozniski" <m...@...> wrote:
            > On Feb 4, 2008 9:18 AM, krischik wrote:
            >

            > > On the other hand use of extended attributes could solve a problem
            > > with 5 lines of code where solving the same problem without could cost
            > > you 50. Determine file types, text file line endings and text file
            > > encoding come to my mind here. Ask Bram how many line of code he
            > > needed in Vim to determine these three informations. With consequent
            > > use of xattribs it would have been 6 lines:
            >
            > > char mime_type[64];
            > > char mime_encoding[64];
            > > char line_ending[64];
            >
            > > getxattr (filename, "Content-Type",mime_type, sizeof mime_type);
            > > getxattr (filename, "Line-Ending", line_ending, sizeof line_ending);
            > > getxattr (filename, "Content-Encoding",mime_encoding, sizeof
            > > mime_encoding);
            >
            > While this would be nice, it would require support code from every
            > application you have.  It may only be 6 lines, but 6 lines * 5000
            > binaries is much more code than is in vim for line ending detection.

            But the other 5000 applications need detection as well. I did mention
            webserver and browser getting detection wrong. konquror/nautilus/
            explorer needs detection and far more complex then vim. And sure OS/2
            needed detection. But there you could always overwrite faulty detected
            value by manualy correcting the EA's.

            > After all, vim can't use this information unless something put it
            > there, which requires that everything that can create a file - from
            > touch to wget to shell redirection - needs to be able to put that
            > attribute into the file.  And, AFAIK, there's no way for those wget or
            > shell redirection to even know what type of line ending the data that
            > they wrote out had.  Which means they'd need to detect it.

            Just one example: The OS/2 version of ZIP would pack extended
            attributes. Once it catches on then more application will support it.
            But I know that this won't happen. We went down the "worse is better"
            way for far to long.

            > Which
            > would require that just about every program out there that is
            > transcribing a data stream from one spot to another, rather than
            > authoring it itself, would need to duplicate the sort of EOL detection
            > code in vim in itself.  And vim would still need to continue
            > supporting the old way since it's designed to run on filesystems that
            > still don't support extended attributes - or it would need to come up
            > with a way to fake extended attributes on those FS types.  No one is
            > saying that extended attributes can't do useful things - just that
            > without being in any way standardized, it's unreasonable to expect
            > that any attributes will ever be set by anyone but you.

            Ahh, indeed, there is the problem and the reason why computing has not
            advanced as much in the last 15 years as one would have expected
            seeing the 15 years before: Backward compatibilty has hobbled us.

            Martin
          • Matt Wozniski
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Feb 4, 2008 4:29 PM, krischik wrote:

              > On 4 Feb., 21:10, "Matt Wozniski" wrote:
              > >
              > > While this would be nice, it would require support code from every
              > > application you have. It may only be 6 lines, but 6 lines * 5000
              > > binaries is much more code than is in vim for line ending detection.
              >
              > But the other 5000 applications need detection as well. I did mention
              > webserver and browser getting detection wrong. konquror/nautilus/
              > explorer needs detection and far more complex then vim. And sure OS/2
              > needed detection. But there you could always overwrite faulty detected
              > value by manualy correcting the EA's.

              I'm not sure that most other apps do need detection. wget, for
              instance, doesn't have to care what line endings the data it saves
              has. But, for what you want, it would have to detect and save it,
              even though it doesn't use it. Shell redirection has no idea what's
              going through it, so it has no way to possibly say what Content-type
              it is... or dd... or tar extracting files that were created on a
              filesystem that didn't track extended attributes...

              > > After all, vim can't use this information unless something put it
              > > there, which requires that everything that can create a file - from
              > > touch to wget to shell redirection - needs to be able to put that
              > > attribute into the file. And, AFAIK, there's no way for those wget or
              > > shell redirection to even know what type of line ending the data that
              > > they wrote out had. Which means they'd need to detect it.
              >
              > Just one example: The OS/2 version of ZIP would pack extended
              > attributes. Once it catches on then more application will support it.
              > But I know that this won't happen. We went down the "worse is better"
              > way for far to long.

              The issue isn't waiting for it to catch on, it's that until it's
              universally available it only increases the amount of code and
              maintenance burden. And, there's no way that it would ever be
              universally available for things like line endings style, because most
              applications just don't know or need to care, so have no reason to set
              that attribute. Things like marking the content encoding might be
              more useful, but still, not good to work with... If, for example, you
              had a file "test.txt" encoded in UTF-16 and with extended attributes
              marking it as such, and your locale is set to use UTF-8, what would
              you expect the result of "cp test.txt test2.txt" to be? What about
              "cat text.txt >text2.txt"? If you expect those two commands to have
              the same effect, I don't see how it can be done without changes to cp
              (mark attrs on dest), cat (mark attrs on stdout), and the kernel
              itself (allow extended attributes on streams).

              > > Which
              > > would require that just about every program out there that is
              > > transcribing a data stream from one spot to another, rather than
              > > authoring it itself, would need to duplicate the sort of EOL detection
              > > code in vim in itself. And vim would still need to continue
              > > supporting the old way since it's designed to run on filesystems that
              > > still don't support extended attributes - or it would need to come up
              > > with a way to fake extended attributes on those FS types. No one is
              > > saying that extended attributes can't do useful things - just that
              > > without being in any way standardized, it's unreasonable to expect
              > > that any attributes will ever be set by anyone but you.
              >
              > Ahh, indeed, there is the problem and the reason why computing has not
              > advanced as much in the last 15 years as one would have expected
              > seeing the 15 years before: Backward compatibilty has hobbled us.

              The problem with this idea isn't the limitations inherent in backwards
              compatibility - if it were worthwhile to do, it's no problem to have
              code that uses attributes if possible and the old, backwards
              compatible method if not. The problem is that creating this standard
              and tying it properly into a POSIX OS would require a lot of low-level
              changes. If we can agree on the requirements - that there must be
              some number of predefined attributes that are set on every regular
              file (and what about special files?), that the operating system must
              handle initializing these attributes correctly when a file is created,
              that streams would also need to have attributes, and that copying,
              extracting, and in general "moving around" data will "just work", can
              you see how difficult this would be to implement? To fully implement
              this, the very least that's required is an operating system that only
              supports filesystems that have some way of storing extended
              attributes, a kernel that's able to initialize each of those
              attributes on every file created, a shell that knows how to get/set
              these attributes (and which it needs to set), and a copy of the
              coreutils that are aware of the changes (so that "cp file1 file2"
              creates file2 with the attrs of file1, not the defaults), at the very
              least? And that work is just the baseline - the point where other
              software can start counting on a base set of attributes that will
              always exist, and trusting that they're correct. On a quick glance, I
              see absolutely no way to do this properly without support from the OS.

              ~Matt

            • Ben Schmidt
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                > Ahh, indeed, there is the problem and the reason why computing has not
                > advanced as much in the last 15 years as one would have expected
                > seeing the 15 years before: Backward compatibilty has hobbled us.

                Indeed, I think it has. The Mac OS used to use resource forks and type attributes
                which were beautiful. Now we have descended to the level of extensions and magic
                numbers like everyone else. The filesystem supports resource forks and named
                forks, but nobody's really using them yet--indeed, if anything, at the moment they
                add confusion because some parts of the OS detect file types that way rather than
                by extension, when available, so it's hard to know what's going on.

                Ben.

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Ben Schmidt wrote:
                  >> Ahh, indeed, there is the problem and the reason why computing has not
                  >> advanced as much in the last 15 years as one would have expected
                  >> seeing the 15 years before: Backward compatibilty has hobbled us.
                  >
                  > Indeed, I think it has. The Mac OS used to use resource forks and type attributes
                  > which were beautiful. Now we have descended to the level of extensions and magic
                  > numbers like everyone else. The filesystem supports resource forks and named
                  > forks, but nobody's really using them yet--indeed, if anything, at the moment they
                  > add confusion because some parts of the OS detect file types that way rather than
                  > by extension, when available, so it's hard to know what's going on.

                  And that sad story told, I do agree with the other posters who don't think this
                  has much use in Vim. I think to have some kind of consistency, probably an OS or
                  other fairly central component needs to lead the way, not a text editor.

                  Ben.

                • krischik
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                    On 4 Feb., 23:09, "Matt Wozniski" <m...@...> wrote:
                    > On Feb 4, 2008 4:29 PM, krischik wrote:
                    >
                    > > On 4 Feb., 21:10, "Matt Wozniski" wrote:
                    >
                    > > > While this would be nice, it would require support code from every
                    > > > application you have. It may only be 6 lines, but 6 lines * 5000
                    > > > binaries is much more code than is in vim for line ending detection.
                    >
                    > > But the other 5000 applications need detection as well. I did mention
                    > > webserver and browser getting detection wrong. konquror/nautilus/
                    > > explorer needs detection and far more complex then vim. And sure OS/2
                    > > needed detection. But there you could always overwrite faulty detected
                    > > value by manualy correcting the EA's.
                    >
                    > I'm not sure that most other apps do need detection. wget, for
                    > instance, doesn't have to care what line endings the data it saves
                    > has. But, for what you want, it would have to detect and save it,
                    > even though it doesn't use it.

                    No, a EA aware wget would request the EA's already attached to the
                    file from an EA aware ftp server - the same way it request file
                    permissions today when used with "--preserve-permissions".

                    > Shell redirection has no idea what's
                    > going through it, so it has no way to possibly say what Content-type
                    > it is... or dd...

                    That's true.

                    > or tar extracting files that were created on a
                    > filesystem that didn't track extended attributes...

                    Well, you might like to ask the authors - xattr and acl support has
                    been added to tar last year:

                    http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/07/02/tips-from-an-rhce-tar-vs-star-the-battle-of-xattrs/

                    > The issue isn't waiting for it to catch on, it's that until it's
                    > universally available it only increases the amount of code and
                    > maintenance burden.

                    You are proving my point: backward compatibility has hobbled software
                    development.

                    > Things like marking the content encoding might be
                    > more useful, but still, not good to work with... If, for example, you
                    > had a file "test.txt" encoded in UTF-16 and with extended attributes
                    > marking it as such, and your locale is set to use UTF-8, what would
                    > you expect the result of "cp test.txt test2.txt" to be?

                    I would use "cp --archive test.txt test2.txt" in which case the EA's
                    are copied as well. At least on SuSE Linux 9.2 onwards. And of course
                    the file would still be UTF-16 - after all it's "copy" not "convert".

                    Without meaning offence: You should read up a little on the subject as
                    you knowledge is not up to date.

                    > What about
                    > "cat text.txt >text2.txt"? If you expect those two commands to have
                    > the same effect, I don't see how it can be done without changes to cp
                    > (mark attrs on dest), cat (mark attrs on stdout), and the kernel
                    > itself (allow extended attributes on streams).

                    I do not expect that cat and cp behave the same. For the simple reason
                    that they never have behaved the same: cp has options like "--
                    preserve" and "--archive" - cat has not. Even today using cat to copy
                    a file will mean that you loose the all the meta informations
                    attached.

                    > a shell that knows how to get/set
                    > these attributes (and which it needs to set),

                    Done: see setfattr and getfattr.

                    > and a copy of the
                    > coreutils that are aware of the changes (so that "cp file1 file2"
                    > creates file2 with the attrs of file1, not the defaults),

                    Done: GNU cp will do that if --archive is used.

                    > On a quick glance, I
                    > see absolutely no way to do this properly without support from the OS.

                    While I countered most of your arguments - you are absolutely right
                    here. Only I have once used an operating system (OS/2) which did
                    exactly that - hence my frustration.

                    Martin
                  • krischik
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                      On 5 Feb., 00:12, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:

                      > And that sad story told, I do agree with the other posters who don't think this
                      > has much use in Vim. I think to have some kind of consistency, probably an OS or
                      > other fairly central component needs to lead the way, not a text editor.

                      I never meant that - I was just countering the claim that "named
                      forks" are useless. And I only used Vim as an example of where Vim
                      would have been simpler to implement - on an operating system which
                      properly supports "type attributes".

                      Sad that everybody else only sees only hurdles and risks of change and
                      not the chances and the risk of no-change.

                      And yes: there is a rist of no-change!

                      The risk of an ever more complex software world with ever more complex
                      solutions which could be done much easier if one would have done it
                      right from the beginning.

                      And the risk of ever more exploits of those complex solutions.

                      Martin
                    • Tony Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                        krischik wrote:
                        [...]
                        > I would use "cp --archive test.txt test2.txt" in which case the EA's
                        > are copied as well. At least on SuSE Linux 9.2 onwards. And of course
                        > the file would still be UTF-16 - after all it's "copy" not "convert".
                        >
                        > Without meaning offence: You should read up a little on the subject as
                        > you knowledge is not up to date.
                        [...]
                        > Done: GNU cp will do that if --archive is used.
                        [...]

                        Hmm... According to "info cp" (on my openSUSE 10.3 system), -a or --archive is
                        equivalent to -dpPR, which means:

                        -d copy symlinks as symlinks and preserve hardlinks between sources in the copies
                        -p preserve attributes. If not specifying which attributes, the default is:
                        mode,ownership,timestamps (xattrs must be specified explicitly to be included)
                        -P copy symlinks as symlinks (sic)
                        -R copy directories recursively

                        "She said, `I know you ... you cannot sing'. I said, `That's nothing,
                        you should hear me play piano.'"
                        -- Morrisey

                      • krischik
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                          On 5 Feb., 11:37, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                          wrote:
                          > krischik wrote:
                          >
                          > [...]> I would use "cp --archive test.txt test2.txt" in which case the EA's
                          > > are copied as well. At least on SuSE Linux 9.2 onwards. And of course
                          > > the file would still be UTF-16 - after all it's "copy" not "convert".
                          >
                          > > Without meaning offence: You should read up a little on the subject as
                          > > you knowledge is not up to date.
                          > [...]
                          > > Done: GNU cp will do that if --archive is used.
                          >
                          > [...]
                          >
                          > Hmm... According to "info cp" (on my openSUSE 10.3 system), -a or --archive is
                          > equivalent to -dpPR, which means:
                          >
                          > -d copy symlinks as symlinks and preserve hardlinks between sources in the copies
                          > -p preserve attributes. If not specifying which attributes, the default is:
                          > mode,ownership,timestamps (xattrs must be specified explicitly to be included)
                          > -P copy symlinks as symlinks (sic)
                          > -R copy directories recursively

                          Well I did not read the manual but copied a file with xattr (Samba
                          creates them at mass) and saw what happened. But that was on a fairly
                          old SuSE 9.2. I check SuSE 10.3 when I am home.

                          Martin

                        • Paul LeoNerd Evans
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                            On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 02:25:26 -0800 (PST)
                            krischik <krischik@...> wrote:

                            > Sad that everybody else only sees only hurdles and risks of change and
                            > not the chances and the risk of no-change.
                            >
                            > And yes: there is a rist of no-change!

                            I have to agree with krischik here. At University, I once got stuck in a
                            problem with some of the other mathematicians, who were all of the
                            opinion that "Yes, I'll have tea if you're having tea". Problem was,
                            nobody actually had tea. It took one of the lawyers to stand up and say
                            "Alright then, I'll have tea." Then all the mathmos jumped ship.

                            An amusing story perhaps, but it proves the point. In all things like
                            this, someone needs to jump first. Does it really matter who that is, as
                            long as someone does?

                            It's been a bone of contention of mine for years, the way modified keys
                            work in terminals. Five years ago XTerm gained ways to express generic
                            modified keys (e.g. Ctrl-Shift-Left). Only recently did any application,
                            such as Vim, start to understand those. It's always been a "you jump,
                            I'll jump" situation - why should the terminal send sequences nobody
                            would understand, or why should any application look for sequences nobody
                            would send? Someone has to go first.

                            Back to the subject of EAs - someone already has gone first. The GNU
                            fileutils already support EAs. As does tar. I also know that the lighttpd
                            webserver uses them by default, only falling back on filename-based
                            detection if the file doesn't have a "Content-Type" EA.

                            It'd be lovely if Vim could set those for it.

                            --
                            Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

                            leonerd@...
                            ICQ# 4135350 | Registered Linux# 179460
                            http://www.leonerd.org.uk/
                          • krischik
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                              On 5 Feb., 12:55, Paul LeoNerd Evans <leon...@...> wrote:

                              > I also know that the lighttpd
                              > webserver uses them by default, only falling back on filename-based
                              > detection if the file doesn't have a "Content-Type" EA.

                              Funny as you say - on my research for my little rants here (yes I do
                              research before I rant) I found out that Apache too uses EA's when to
                              store and detect file types.

                              And then there is Samba which uses "user.DOSATTRIB" to store dos
                              attributes.

                              > It'd be lovely if Vim could set those for it.

                              That would be a nice indeed. - Bram - are you still with us?

                              Martin
                            • Alexei Alexandrov
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                                krischik wrote:

                                > Open a console and type "man 5 attr"? Or look here:
                                >
                                > http://linux.die.net/man/5/attr
                                >

                                > No it has nothing to do with Linux. FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X
                                > support extended attributes as well. See:
                                >
                                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes
                                >
                                > Quote Wikipedia: "In Linux, the ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, ReiserFS and
                                > XFS filesystems support extended attributes (abbreviated xattr) if the
                                > libattr feature is enabled in the kernel configuration. "

                                Oh, thanks - this is a good learning for me. It's a shame I never heard
                                of this before.

                                > On the other hand use of extended attributes could solve a problem
                                > with 5 lines of code where solving the same problem without could cost
                                > you 50. Determine file types, text file line endings and text file
                                > encoding come to my mind here. Ask Bram how many line of code he
                                > needed in Vim to determine these three informations. With consequent
                                > use of xattribs it would have been 6 lines:
                                >
                                > [...]
                                >
                                > And best of all: you know before you open the file. AFAIK Bram need to
                                > close and reopen files in unfortunate combinations.

                                Such attributes would be useful, yes. But it's backward compatibility
                                that is the root of all evil and you also mentioned this in a sibling
                                post. So I'm not sure these things will become popular unless there is a
                                brand new OS appears which doesn't have to be compatible with anything
                                and it wins the market.

                                Also, the named attributes story doesn't have to do much with numbered
                                NTFS data streams, does it? It might be similar but numbers are too far
                                from string identifier convenience. Which brings me back to my original
                                thought - the design and implementation of data streams in NTFS are useless.

                                --
                                Alexei Alexandrov

                              • krischik
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                                  On 5 Feb., 22:54, Alexei Alexandrov <alexei.alexand...@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Also, the named attributes story doesn't have to do much with numbered
                                  > NTFS data streams, does it?

                                  I fear you missed something - since NTFS v3.0 named forks are
                                  supported. They are called "Alternate data streams". See

                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Features

                                  Martin
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                                    Alex Jakushev wrote:

                                    > > Try setting the 'backupcopy' option to "yes".
                                    >
                                    > This worked, but then it raises another question. Previous value
                                    > of the 'backupcopy' option was auto, which means yes or no, which
                                    > works best. Why didn't it choose yes, if no fails?

                                    Vim doesn't detect the situation that you are editing an info stream
                                    directly.

                                    > Also, in my configuration, backup option is no. Theoretically, I should
                                    > not bother with all this stuff at all? I use Vim7.1 last official release.

                                    The 'writebackup' option matters too.

                                    > > I thought Vim did copy the streams, but I suppose this doesn't work when
                                    > > you edit one specific stream. If you want to look at it: function
                                    > > copy_infostreams() in src/os_win32.c
                                    >
                                    > This may take a while for me to set up everything...
                                    >
                                    > But i have an idea that the problem is with file names.
                                    > When you open some specific stream, vim considers the stream name as
                                    > filename, and filename as subfolder. The stream name is separated from file
                                    > name with a colon (c:\path\foo.txt:bar), and the same colon is used to
                                    > separate drive letter. Maybe this causes some confusion?

                                    Detecting the colon should be simple. When not using NTFS the file name
                                    would be illegal. I'll add a todo item for this. But it would be nice
                                    if someone can make a patch for it.

                                    > Also, VIM converts dots in file name to underscores sometimes, when
                                    > streams are specified.

                                    I haven't seen this. Perhaps it's because the long file name is
                                    converted to a 8.3 file name? Can you give a reproducable example?

                                    > > NTFS streams are mostly restricted to MS-Windows applications, and
                                    > > rarely used. I don't think it's a good idea to support them in Vim
                                    > > directly.
                                    >
                                    > I understand it, but vim has specific windows functionality anyway.
                                    > But of course it is easy for me to suggest this and that :)

                                    I always put more effort in functionality that works everywhere. And to
                                    keep programs portable rare features should be avoided, especially when
                                    they don't add something essential for the end user. MS thinks
                                    otherwise: They want programs to only run on MS-Windows. Portability
                                    means they might lose customers. Some Linux developers also go in this
                                    direction, they don't care about MS-Windows users. I care for everybody
                                    :-).

                                    --
                                    The process for understanding customers primarily involves sitting around with
                                    other marketing people and talking about what you would to if you were dumb

                                  • Alexei Alexandrov
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                                      krischik wrote:

                                      > I fear you missed something - since NTFS v3.0 named forks are
                                      > supported. They are called "Alternate data streams".

                                      Oops, yep, I have a lot of stuff to catch up with.

                                      --
                                      Alexei Alexandrov