Re: Bug with setglobal

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
      Ben Schmidt wrote:
      > Hi, Bram,
      >
      > Another one for the todo list, I think (can't spot it on there).
      >
      > If you issue setglobal in a read-only buffer for an option that locally would
      > change the buffer, it fails with an error. E.g. in a help window issue
      >
      > :setglobal fenc=anything
      >
      > and you get
      >
      > E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off: fenc=anything
      >
      > Obviously neither the failure nor the message is appropriate.
      >
      > Ben.

      I confirm that it fails if 'modifiable' is off, as in a helpfile. For a plain
      'readonly' (but 'modifiable') file there is no problem, and the buffer is not
      marked as modified.

      One is not superior merely because one sees the world as odious.
      -- Chateaubriand (1768-1848)

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
        > I confirm that it fails if 'modifiable' is off, as in a helpfile. For a plain
        > 'readonly' (but 'modifiable') file there is no problem, and the buffer is not
        > marked as modified.

        Thanks again for the correction, Tony.

        Not my week evidently!

        Ben.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008
          Ben Schmidt wrote:
          >> I confirm that it fails if 'modifiable' is off, as in a helpfile. For a plain
          >> 'readonly' (but 'modifiable') file there is no problem, and the buffer is not
          >> marked as modified.
          >
          > Thanks again for the correction, Tony.
          >
          > Not my week evidently!
          >
          > Ben.

          If ever I make similar errors (as I sometimes do, especially when lacking
          sleep), I hope you will notice them and post a correction. :-)

          "Each of us alone can do nothing. Together, no task can resist us."

          THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #18a: FIFTH

          FIFTH is a precision mathematical language in which the data types
          refer to quantity. The data types range from CC, OUNCE, SHOT, and
          JIGGER to FIFTH (hence the name of the language), LITER, MAGNUM and
          BLOTTO. Commands refer to ingredients such as CHABLIS, CHARDONNAY,
          CABERNET, GIN, VERMOUTH, VODKA, SCOTCH, and WHATEVERSAROUND.

          The many versions of the FIFTH language reflect the sophistication and
          financial status of its users. Commands in the ELITE dialect include
          VSOP and LAFITE, while commands in the GUTTER dialect include HOOTCH
          and RIPPLE. The latter is a favorite of frustrated FORTH programmers
          who end up using this language.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
            Ben Schmidt wrote:

            > Hi, Bram,
            >
            > Another one for the todo list, I think (can't spot it on there).
            >
            > If you issue setglobal in a read-only buffer for an option that
            > locally would change the buffer, it fails with an error. E.g. in a
            > help window issue
            >
            > :setglobal fenc=anything
            >
            > and you get
            >
            > E21: Cannot make changes, 'modifiable' is off: fenc=anything
            >
            > Obviously neither the failure nor the message is appropriate.

            Yes, one more for the todo list. When 'modifiable' is off, that is.

            --
            If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
            have no idea what it is. If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you