Re: an idea for plugin development: strict mode

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
      thomas wrote:
      >> In the context of programming (and Vim scripting), silently ignoring
      >> real errors is doing users a disservice, as I'm sure you'd agree.
      >
      > Nonstop execution can be useful in certain situations though.
      > Otherwise,
      > certain autocommand that would cause vim to stop the execution of the
      > current command could be real fun for a user who doesn't know much
      > about
      > vim's inerts.
      >
      > I think "forgiving" was meant in the sense of "print error messages
      > and
      > continue with the execution of the program".
      >
      > With regards to the original problem, I think I personally would
      > (most
      > of the time) prefer a solution where vim would query users whether
      > they
      > want to drop into the debugger (or something similar that makes it
      > possible to explore variable values), stop running faulty code,
      > continue
      > with the execution of the current script until the next error occurs,
      > or
      > continue and ignore subsequent errors (the current default).
      >
      > BTW is there somethime like an Error autocommand?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Thomas.

      See ":help exception-handling".

      F: When into a room I plunge, I
      Sometimes find some VIOLET FUNGI.
      Then I linger, darkly brooding
      On the poison they're exuding.
      -- The Roguelet's ABC

    • ap
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 25, 2008
        On Jan 25, 6:49 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        wrote:
        > thomas wrote:

        > > BTW is there somethime like an Error autocommand?
        >
        > > Regards,
        > > Thomas.
        >
        > See ":help exception-handling".
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Tony.

        I am shure he knows about that.

        Anyway, who wants builtin quickfix use of vimscript ?
        I think its a shame, that the editor isn't able to use one of
        it's very own features.

        -ap